Author Topic: How to connect a WHR-G300N to a WZR-HP-G300NH?  (Read 11517 times)

BlackICE

• Calf
How to connect a WHR-G300N to a WZR-HP-G300NH?
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »

Hi!

The WZR-HP-G300NH is the firewall/AP/Router for my network. I have some devices, which have only ethernet. So I was thinking, I buy a WHR-G300N and have it connected as client (or whatever way is possible) to the existing WLAN.

But there is no option for this. I read that WDS is not possible but this is also not what I want.

As on the package it said, it can do bridging, that is what I want make: bridge from ethernet over the wlan to the network. It does not need to work as an AP or make any other Wlan network.

Any clues?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: How to connect a WHR-G300N to a WZR-HP-G300NH?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »

Set it to bridge (turn the switch to off) mode and hook them up to each other via the LAN connection.  This is actually called bridging, but it doesn't sound like that is what you want to do...

Connecting them together wirelessly is WDS, which is what it sounds like you want to do. This is not possible to do with any of our "N" routers.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 07-01-2009 08:32 PM
Message Edited by PCPiranha on 07-01-2009 08:32 PM

Spretti

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »
   Hi, so this means my WHR-G300N is totally useless for having wireless Access Point??? It must have wired connection. Can i then somehow use WHR-G300N as my router and then use the WHR-G54S as Access point??

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:12:26 PM »

Both units must support WDS in order for WDS to work properly.  Please note that there is a big difference between WDS and bridging.  Most of the N routers support bridging but none of them support WDS.  Bridging is most commonly used when someone has a router that is not wireless.  You can connect a bridged router to the non-wireless router to make a wrieless signal for computers to connect to.

My advice would be to find another WHR-G54S or WHR-HP-G54 to set up WDS.

Spretti

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »
   Hi , will the WDS function be available for the WHR-G300N in future?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 10:40:41 PM »
I can send up a feature requests but at this time I wouldn't expect it.

BlackICE

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 05:27:42 AM »

Can there be a feature in future firmware, where the wireless of the device can be set to client mode, so it just connects to any existing wireless network as a client? This is what I would need.

Actually, on the packaging it should explain the limitations. Or explain, what it is meant with "bridge". Many people will buy WHR-G300N and will miss a wireless bridging function

another question: where can I download firmware for the WHR-G300N? I want to try DD-WRT but later switch back to original firmware and could not find any version to be downloadable.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 03:00:43 PM »

BlackICE:

I am going to respond to your post, but please do not mention DDWRT on this board or your posts will be removed and you will be banned as per our guidelines.

"Can there be a feature in future firmware, where the wireless of thedevice can be set to client mode, so it just connects to any existingwireless network as a client? This is what I would need."

I understand what you want, you want WDS.  This feature is not available on this unit, and it might not ever be.

"Actually, on the packaging it should explain the limitations"

This is a feature that is not on every router.  In fact it isn't on most routers, therefor it is not a "limitation" but a feature, and one that doesn't come with this unit.  I bet you would have a hard time finding any router manufacturer that puts "not WDS compatable" on the box.  Simply put, if it says it is WDS capable on the box, then it is WDS capable

"Or explain, what it is meant with "bridge". Many people will buy WHR-G300N and will miss a wireless bridging function"

There are many different features for different wireless devices, if you need one of these features you should make sure that you know what the feature is called before purchasing the product.  This is no different than any electronic device that comes with different features.

"another question: where can I download firmware for the WHR-G300N? Iwant to try DD-WRT but later switch back to original firmware and couldnot find any version to be downloadable."

You can download it from our website (if you're in the US) however once you put DD-WRT on the router you void the warranty.  Also the firmware that we have is encrypted and you may not be able to put it back on once you flash the third party firmware.  If you wish to try it out, I suggest waiting until the warranty expires or you do so at your own risk.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 07-02-2009 03:01 PM

BlackICE

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »

Thank you for your answers. I will not mention any other alternative firmwareshere. Thank you for the warning.

In one point there is a misunderstanding:

"Can there be a feature in future firmware, where the wireless of the device can be set to client mode, so it just connects to any existing wireless network as a client? This is what I would need."

I understand what you want, you want WDS.  This feature is not available on this unit, and it might not ever be.

WDS is necessary, when the wireless part of the device is operated in some sort of access point mode (i. e. it is making the infrastructure for other devices to connect via wireless to it). This is also the main function of this device.

What I meant was, that I do not care about the AP/infrastructure mode. It can be switched off or whatever. What I really wanted is this: The device should use its wireless hardware like any other computer as a standard wireless card to connect like any other client to an existing wireless network (as a client to an infrastructure).

I know that this is possible and is usually very easy to implement as in the past I have done programming and configuration on linux based embedded devices which also include wireless hardware.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »
The WDS capability that some of our routers have is the closest thing that our products offer to the client mode that you're requesting. I'll forward a request for a client feature to be added.

BlackICE

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »

PCPiranha wrote:
The WDS capability that some of our routers have is the closest thing that our products offer to the client mode that you're requesting. I'll forward a request for a client feature to be added.

yes, the WDS function is an addition to the AP mode. A client feature would help a lot at least for some people here missing the WDS mode (if that would work, I would recommend to hook up two devices so that one connects to the wireless network and other is working in AP mode ;)

Thank you very much for forwarding a request!

Message Edited by BlackICE on 07-02-2009 05:14 PM

beatloafer

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »

PCPiranha wrote:

"Actually, on the packaging it should explain the limitations"

This is a feature that is not on every router.  In fact it isn't on most routers, therefor it is not a "limitation" but a feature, and one that doesn't come with this unit.  I bet you would have a hard time finding any router manufacturer that puts "not WDS compatable" on the box.  Simply put, if it says it is WDS capable on the box, then it is WDS capable

"Or explain, what it is meant with "bridge". Many people will buy WHR-G300N and will miss a wireless bridging function"

There are many different features for different wireless devices, if you need one of these features you should make sure that you know what the feature is called before purchasing the product.  This is no different than any electronic device that comes with different features.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 07-02-2009 03:01 PM

I have to agree that it is a little misleading to the loyal Buffalo customer that the G300NH does not support WDS.  My last two Buffalo routers supported this "bridgeing" feature (which is what set them apart from the competition) so why woudln't I just assume that the G300NH, which states that it can be bridged and can act as an access point supports WDS... which from my understanding is just wireless bridgeing.  I just purchased a G300NH with this assumption and now I'm going to return it and just stick with my old G54's.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »

Router - A device that connects two or more portions of a network at the Network Layer (OSI Layer 3).

Network Bridge - A device that connects two portions of a network at the Data Link Layer (OSI Layer 2). With regard to a wireless router, "bridge mode" means the routing functions are disabled, and the device connects to an existing wired network to provide wireless access.

Access Point - A device that acts as a hub in an IEEE 802.11 wireless network. Client devices such as computer wireless cards can connect to an Access Point, and then can connect to other network services such as hardwired servers or the Internet.

Wireless Distribution System (WDS)- A system that enables the wireless interconnection of Access Points in an IEEE 802.11 wireless network. This allows WDS-enabled Access Points to connect together wirelessly, usually to expand the range of the wireless network.

As you can see, "Wireless bridging" is a very confusing term. This is why we stick to using the term "WDS".

Buffalo routers (and indeed most other consumer routers) are multiple devices melded into one. A typical Buffalo router is a Router, Access Point, Switch, and also can be configured in "bridge mode". WDS is an entirely separate feature, only supported on some models.

Message Edited by Colin137 on 07-14-2009 05:01 PM

beatloafer

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 05:41:47 PM »

I'm sorry, but most consumer electronics do not devolve and remove features in the next generation of products.  Although you addressed my opinion with a list of definitions that you copy and pasted from the owners manual, I assume you feel it is the consumer's responsibility to know what features made it into the new model.  Well, as a consumer, I know you're wrong.  I know a lot of assumptions are made when you have a product in you hand that you are interested in purchasing.  I suspect if Apple removed gps from the next iphone, a lot of people would find out after they got it home.

I've been a big fan of Buffalo's products, frankly when no one else I know has even heard of Buffalo, and I've been looking forward to your N replacement of the G54... I just ASSUMED it was G300NH.  My bad.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 09:54:10 PM »

You seem to think that your assumptions about a product having a feature that it doesn't is Buffalo's fault... I fail to understand this.

On the product page for the WHR-HP-G54, in the features section, it specifically states  "Supports WDS To Increase Coverage With Optional Repeater". The WZR-HP-G300NH does not have anything mentioning WDS in the product page.

I suspect that if Apple removed GPS from the next iPhone, GPS would not be advertised in the feature list.

The N routers are not really replacements for the G routers. The WHR-HP-G54 is one of our best selling wireless products, and is still sold.

Regardless of the issue at hand, I suggest you lighten up your tone. Personal attacks such as incorrectly claiming I've copy-pasted definitions from the manual are not welcome in this forum. Continuing this abusive behavior will result in a ban.