Author Topic: WHR HP G54 configuration help needed  (Read 5409 times)

zuelou

• Calf
WHR HP G54 configuration help needed
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:47:20 AM »

I have a dsl modem connected to the WAN port on a LinkSys router. One of the numbered (LAN?) ports on the Linksys router is connected to the WAN port on my Buffalo WHR HP G54. It all works fine. However, I want to get rid of the LinkSys router (in the middle). But whenever I connect the dsl model directly to the WAN port of the Buffalo router, I can no longer connect to the internet. I'd really like to pull the LinkSys out. What in the world must I do to get my desired setup to work? I am ready for your questions. Thanks a lot in advance for any help that you can provide!

kevin

• El Toro
Re: WHR HP G54 configuration help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:31:26 AM »

1) -Plug your Cable/DSL modem into the WAN port on the router.

-Plug your Computer in one of the four LAN ports.

2) -On the bottom or side of the router is a switch (BRI/AUTO), set it to "Auto"

-Next to the switch is a reset button "INIT", press and hold until the Red "DIAG" light starts to flash

-Restart your computer

3) -Open a web browser and type http://192.168.11.1 into the address bar

-Username= root  Password= (leave blank)

4) -Click on Advanced

- For Method of Acquiring an IP Address, select "Acquire automatically from DHCP" and press "Apply"

**Note- If your ISP requires you to use a PPPoE connection than you need to select that and continue with PPPoE setup

5) -Click on "Wireless Config" and then select "Basic"

-For SSID, select "Use" and in the text field type in what ever you want as it will be the name of your wireless network and press Apply and press Set on the next page

**Note- This will not refresh automatically, wait about 1 minute for it to save the settings then refresh your browser and log in using "root"

6) -If you wish to setup security for your wireless network, select "Security" under "Wireless Config"

-For Encryption type, select "TKIP" and where it says Pre-Shared Key, you are going to create a password 8-63 characters long

If you cannot get online right away or through wireless, then you will need to power cycle your modem (Leave it completely powerless for at least 2 full minutes)

zuelou

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:33:32 PM »

Thank you very much! Today I was switched over to ATM and when I connected my Buffalo router to my new Westell bridged modem it just worked. I am happy.

So it doesn't matter that I couldn't get it to work with the older Fujitsu. I was trying to get it to work the Fujitsu to prepare for the Westell. That doesn't even make sense now. 

Anyway THANKS again.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:26:05 PM »
Im glad its working now

zuelou

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:46:37 PM »

My next project - I have a HP LaserJet from a surplus sale. It only had a parallel port so I also picked up a HP jetdirect because it has a parallel port. So naturally I have the Jetdirect connected to my Buffalo Wireless Router.

Yep. All I have to do is to figure out how to get the jetdirect configured and get the HP printer driver on my machine and to print. 

Did I mention that I have Ubuntu? :-)

zuelou

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »

All done. Printing is working. It was no big deal once I figured out how to reset the little print server so it picked up the right ip.

I like Ubuntu.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:41:20 AM »

wow! Yeah, its nice when just work :smileywink:

Glad to hear you got all that up and running