Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH Review  (Read 9294 times)

someguyintx

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH Review
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »

Well, noone else has done it. So I guess I will. This is a very amateur review based on my experience. It is not meant to be exhaustive, technical nor comprehensive by any stretch. Just sort of a general review of my experience.

I am in the computer industry and as such I am a sometimes bench tech (which I avoid as much as possible) and a sometimes network engineer. I have set up countless routers and networks over the last years. I say that only as a point of reference. I have set up SMC, TrendNet, D-Link, Linksys, Cisco and some others that who knows who actually made them

I had initially gone with a D-Link years and years ago, and was unhappy with. I then switched to Linksys (around 11b 4 port 10/100 time) and was quite pleased. I quit selling and recommending Linksys after they were acquired by Cisco.

A couple of years ago roughly, I set up my first DIR-655, as far as I was concerned, with the exception of the enthusiast router market, it was the best by a long shot. For the general user, it was perfect. Easy to configure, did what it said, very few problems. No returns. No freebie service calls to straiten out end user created problems. It just worked. About 7 months ago, I switched to the DIR-825 and was initially happy. Until I started pounding it with P2P, it just wouldn't stay connected. Constant 'wireless restart'. After dozens of wasted hours, swamping out units. I finally said enough. I had thought about the DIR-855 but ultimately just couldn't get myself to pay price point. Which leads us to the WZR-HP-G300NH

I have a very mixed environment at home. 1 54G desktop with Linksys PCI card, 1 N wireless laptop, 1 Brother wireless G network Printer, 1 Linksys Vonage adapter (original), 1 Xbox 360 and 1 Wii. Plus the occasional friend who pops in with handheld or laptop to connect. Pretty good testing environment.

I finally received the WZR-HP-G300NH and hooked it up. The menu was very very different for me. But after some mucking around I was able to get it 'set up' for my network I thought.  I unplugged the DIR-825 and plugged in the WZR-HP-G300NH. It immediately 'sensed' the internet and ask me to run through easy set up. I did, I had not installed the provided software for reason many of you would understand. I don't usually need it. THis connected to Verizon Fios without a problem. It did ask me how I wanted to connect and I chose PPoE as that has always worked for other routers. Put in user name and PW, and there it went. No problems. UPnP worked perfectly for all devices including allowed my P2P software to do it's thing. Overall, I haven't been able to find one thing to complain about. Xbox live works, WII weather and News works. I am sure Ill find somehting, but as of yet, nothing.

I did have a bit of trouble with setting up the security per SSID, but that is not Buffalo's issue, it's mine.

I have recently tried, in an attempt to get a 2 year solution dropped in, Linksys WRT610N, D-Link DIR-855 and too many others in the last months to list. They all failed for one reason or another. Strangely, the Linksys dual router was great, except no distance. It could connect decent on G, but N no further than line of sight. So why buy your N Cisco ???

So I am pleased to report, that with no extra tweaking on any of the networked devices (except resetting the printer boot method) that everything work. Within an hour I had VoiP, Wii, Xbox and all PC's connected, this included the Desktop G unit wayyy out in the garage and the N connection on my laptop seems to be holding steady at 130MB. The DIR-825 when it was connected would often report being connected at full 300MB, but to much data suggest that is a false reading

So, if you are on the sidelines on this router, not only is it the best router I have ever tried, it is much cheaper that other true dual N simultaneous (a requirement for me) router. I got this one new for around $95 to my doorstep. In other words, take a chance on the boys in Austin. I did, and I couldn't be happier.

one odd note, I was unable to find the 1.60 firmware or any updated firmware on Buffalo's site. This may just be their process though.

As far as I can tell, 'root' is always the admin log in username, I wish they would let us change that. the unit itself was small and much lighter than I anticipated, but the proof is in the pudding. Ill post again in the coming months if I start having problems.

I hope this helped someone, and if not, oh well, I enjoyed it.

:)

Message Edited by someguyintx on 06-02-2009 08:39 PM
Message Edited by someguyintx on 06-02-2009 08:41 PM
Message Edited by someguyintx on 06-02-2009 08:48 PM

scajjr2

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH Review
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:25:38 PM »

I've had my WZR-HP-G300NH for a couple weeks now and love it. 2 hardwired Gb NIC desktops PCs, an N laptop and a G laptop. N Laptop has stayed a steady 270mbps/Excellent signal for the entire time. G stays steady 54mbps and excellent signal in upstairs bedroom.

Web interface menu takes a bit getting used to after using Linksys for a few years but it's not too bad.

Great unit for $100.

Sam

mangkuk69

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:28:08 AM »

could you help me out abit. using wzr g300nh 

see, i have 2 wireless n devices and 2 wireless g devices. the client monitor says the 2 wireless n devices have 802.11n technology enabled but the speeds and range registered from the devices themselves tell another story. they get only 130 mbps rather than the 300mbps buffalo said and distance is the same as wireless g. could not go further.

if you know of a solution, pls give instructions because im in real dire need of troubleshooting this problem. im exhausted. cant find a solution, so i headed here to the forums. i have already changed the bandwidth on router to 40Mhz. some other guy said to change the n adapter bandwidth settings which i dont know.

any kind souls out there. . . pls help this old man.

someguyintx

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:05:26 AM »

130 is perfectly normal in my experience. check your actual data transfer speeds. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your N device. Some of the newer draft N seem to connect at the higher speeds. My intel N adapter is about 2 years old now

When I was using the D-Link router, It showed connection around 300 all the time, but the actual transfer speeds were the same as the Buffalo showing 130, which is what mine shows also.

hope that helps.

scajjr2

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 08:49:12 AM »

Try going to the control panel, select your network adapter, right click , properties, advanced and scroll down through the list. The N adapter card in my fiance's laptop had a setting for N that was disabled so I enabled it. Also check the speed settings there too. Every adapter has different entries in the advanced properties so you'll have to see what listings your adapter has. Anything you're not sure of do a search on the net first.

Sam

mangkuk69

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »

is this the transmit speed? i saw this on ralink 2860 utilty,, transmit-150mbps, receive-(270-300mbps)

But why is range so poor. in fact, exactly same as g router.