Author Topic: How do I...  (Read 3294 times)

majic79

• Calf
How do I...
« on: May 20, 2009, 06:06:23 PM »

Set up my WHR-G300N?

I'm not a n00b when it comes to this sort of stuff, I've installed a fairly broad network in my house and I want to extend it by addind a wireless access point to it. I've had good experiences with the buffalo equipment in the past, but I'm really struggling to make my new wireless access point work as I want it to!

This is the setup I'm after (I've highlighted the new addition to the network in the blue circle) - I want my WHR-G300N to act as an access point to my network to my wii and a couple of other wireless devices I have (mobile phone, netbook, PS3 when I get it) and it's being a right pain in the butt.

Firstly, I have a dedicated DHCP server in my ADSL internet box, so I figure I'll use that (everything's all configured for it, the DHCP range is set - subnet 192.168.50.100 and onwards - port forwarding, yadda yadda yadda - so that's what I want to use) with the switch on the back set to "On", I can only access the device from one of the normal ports on the 192.168.11.XXX range, when I set it up with a static IP address, I can't access it at all (on 11 or 50), so I reset the device and set the switch to "Off" and I still can't seeit. Basically, if it's not in "On" and not in one of the four linked ports, then I can't configure it, and it doesn't seem to hold the configuration after I've set it up as it should be.

Message Edited by majic79 on 05-21-2009 12:07 AM

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: How do I...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »

If you want to do a wireless bridge aka (existing router <-----> wireless connection <----> WHR-G300N <---> wireless connection <----> PS3 netbook etc)

This will not be possible as this support does not have WDS.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

majic79

• Calf
Re: How do I...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »

Perhaps I should clarify it a little then - all the black lines are wired connections.

I want to use the WHR-G300N as an Access point so my wireless devices can connect to my (already) wired network devices through it. The WHR-G300N is going to be connected (via a wire) to my ethernet switch.