Author Topic: WHN-G300N, DNS not resolving over the wireless  (Read 2778 times)

Moocat

• Calf
WHN-G300N, DNS not resolving over the wireless
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »

WHN-G300N, not sure on firmware currently, have to reset the beast to re-gain browser configuration access.

There are no Windows OS machines in the house.

Trying to set up wireless access point for netbook and android devices. Clients are connecting okay to the network but my efforts at getting the DNS across from our LAN and Gateway/DNS seem to fail over wireless.

One Android device is able to update its weather app, I assume because its bypassing DNS with a hard number? However while the netbook and other android devices connect okay to the wifi, getting DHCP IP addresses, but there is no DNS resolution. No browsing, no gmail, some sync maybe, not sure.

I've turned the DHCP off in the browser config, loaded the numbers for the LANside IP & gateway & DNS, and switched the hardware router switch to OFF. Subnet mask looks good too.

Using the WHN-G300N as a LAN switch shows that my LANside numbers are correct and working. IE the netbook connects and resolves DNS through the WHN-G300N over the ethernet cable and out on to the web.

What else is there to do?

Moocat

• Calf
Re: WHN-G300N, DNS not resolving over the wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:51:19 AM »

Okay worked it out, either the supplied manual is not clear enough on this point or its wrong or both. The help provided in the browser interface got me by.

Don't plug the LAN side ethernet into the black LAN ports with router off, but into the blue internet (dsl, cable modem) port with the router swtich in the on position.

No idea how the android phone updated its weather app though. Weird.

Moo

fmpasionjr

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »

wavelength of bluetooth does not coincide with the product, thus, cant cummunicate.

capaho

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:34:44 AM »

DNS resolution is the same for the wired and wireless side, so I'm not sure what the problem is that you're seeing.  If there is a problem with DNS resolution it won't make any difference how the client devices are connected to the router.  How exactly is the router connecting to the Internet, by PPOE, through another router, etc.?