Author Topic: A few AOSS questions  (Read 10725 times)

marvdmartian

• Calf
A few AOSS questions
« on: May 08, 2009, 07:18:55 AM »

Hello. I have a Buffalo WZR G300N.

I have a few questions regarding AOSS.

I have set up my router's wireless to have a WPA2 encrypted network. Its working fine. Now I try to connect my Wii, and I decided to take advantage of the AOSS. So i chose AOSS on the Wii, and i pressed the AOSS button on the router until the security light started blinking. A few seconds later, the Wii said its all done, and i tested it, and its working great.

But ever since i did this, i noticed that all my devices are detecting another wireless network coming from my router. Its SSID is 3127A49709BDF0BE03E569BA5... and its using WPA-PSK. So my router is broadcasting two wireless networks now?

and i also decided to connect to the Nintendo DS using AOSS. It worked and theres another wireless network named 721430A4EF0DBEA31A29F780... using WEP128. What does this mean? Are those two networks also accessible? and would my WPA2 network still work normally? although it seems that its working fine.

What if i connect another Nintendo DS? Should i let it connect to the WEP128 network? How? or should i just do AOSS again?

When using AOSS, isnt the security of my WPA2 network affected?

Thanks in advance. :)

Marcel

• Calf
Re: A few AOSS questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »
   What AOSS does is create an encryption for you. The router itself is only producing one network. The other networks you are seeing would be that of your neighbors. Honestly if you have you own encrpytion selected you have no need to use the aoss function. Each connection you make should be to your router regardless which device it is you are using.

thetimo

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »
   I'm using AOSS between a WCA-G and a PSP. There shouldn't be any 'extra' networks although you can see the actual AOSS-details with some cryptic line in the web userface of the router. Threre are some more details on AOSS in here: http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0102&message.id=1240&query.id=46887#M1240 .

marvdmartian

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:01:34 AM »

SSID spongebob.net

Authentication AOSS WPA/WPA2 mixedmode - PSK

Encryption AOSS TKIP/AES mixedmode

SSID 3127A49709BDF0BE03E569BA5...

Authentication AOSS WPA-PSK

Encryption AOSS AES

SSID 7721430A4EF0DBEA31A29F780...

Authentication Open

Encryption AOSS WEP128

^ that's what my router shows. It really is making 2 more WLANs. Those SSIDs that it shows are the SSID of the 2 other WLANs i see.

I think it makes another one because for example, the Nintendo DS does not support WPA and only WEP so it creates another one with a WEP Encryption. And the Wii only supports WPA and not WPA2...

thetimo

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:16:10 PM »

Hmm, actually it makes sense to me. The AOSS-connection is built from scratch with every device separately. Though in my opinion you don't have three wlans, but three connections. AOSS is not supposed to mess the original wlan settings by creating an individual connection with every client. Thus, the connections for both DS and Wii should be listed since your router has built the most secure connetion each client can handle.

This is how I see the situation. Is there a headline called 'AOSS Client Information' in your Wireless/AOSS -tab in the router's web ui? Under mine (WCA-G) there's only the PSP-connection I have. I really wish Buffalo would have an AOSS-FAQ page somewhere...

marvdmartian

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »

thats what i think too. but the original connection is not affected, right? it doesnt seem like it's affected.

Wii 00:19:1D:E2:52:C6 WEP64/WEP128/WPA-PSK-TKIP/WPA-PSK-AES 802.11g Allow

NINTENDO-DS 00:21:47:57:0F:7F WEP64/WEP128 802.11g Allow

NINTENDO-DS 00:22:4C:AD:88:35 WEP64/WEP128 802.11g Allow

EC Devices / Not AOSS Devices 00:21:00:94:AA:E7 ----- 802.11g Allow

EC Devices / Not AOSS Devices 00:22:B0:5B:63:84 ----- 802.11g Allow

thetimo

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:35:24 AM »
   Yes, according to the AOSS defintion, the original connection should stay as it was. And so it seems to do also with me.

marvdmartian

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »
   i have a question. can i just directly connect to one of those connections made by AOSS? if i have a device that doesnt support AOSS but does not support WPA2 either, can i just connect directly? i just have to copy the security key from the router's config page

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:19 PM »
Yes, you should just be able to connect it through one of the LAN ports on the back.

marvdmartian

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »

no, what i mean is can i connect it through the wireless connection made by AOSS?

for example, my main connection is WPA2. AOSS created connections that are WPA and WEP for the Nintendo DS and Wii. Now i have 3 connections. But if i have a device that only supports WEP, i could not connect it to my main WPA2 connection. So can i connect it to the WEP connection made by AOSS?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »
No you can not simply add it to the AOSS if that unit doesnt support WPA2 or AOSS.

marvdmartian

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 06:24:51 PM »
   is there a way i can connect the device if it does not support AOSS? I dont want to change my WPA2 to something more inferior

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »

I would just reinitialize the router and set it up all over again and connect to them manually (connect to the router from each device individually).  I provided instructions on how to manually set up the router below.  This should make things easier.

To set this router up manually follow these instructions:

for cable internet:

First, unplug the cable modem from power for at least 5 minutes. While it is unplugged, log into the router ( http://192.168.11.1) and go to Advanced->WAN Settings->WAN Port. Set the "Method ofObtaining IP Address" to "Automatic via DHCP" and Apply the setting.After the setting is applied and the router finishes rebooting, unplugit from power. Plug in the cable modem to power and wait for it tofully boot up. Plug the WAN port of the router into the cable modem andthen plug it into power. Once it finishes booting, check to see if youcan get an internet connection. 

for DSL internet:

There are two types of DSL Internet Connections: Those which use ausername and password, and those that do not. Which type you havedetermines how the Buffalo router should be configured. There areinstructions below for each type of DSL connection. If you are not surewhich type you have, you can contact your Internet Service Provider,and verify which type you have.

Physical connectionThe DSL modem needs to be connected to the WAN port on the Buffalorouter, and your computer needs to be connected to one of the fournumbered ports on the Buffalo router. The Power LED should beilluminated. The Wireless G led, and red DIAG led may be on. Thereshould NOT be a green bridge led illuminated (it looks like a greenarch). If there is please let us know.

DSL that does NOT use a username and password

First log into the Buffalo router ( http://192.168.11.1), the username is root, and there is no password by default; so youcan leave it blank. Once logged in, click on 'Advanced'. Set 'Method ofacquire IP address to' 'Acquire an IP Address Automatically from a DHCPServer', and click 'Apply'. When the router finishes restarting, checkto see if you can get online.

If you are not able to get online, goto 'Diagnostic'. On theDiagnostic page, click on 'release'. Then unplug the power from yourmodem for 5 minutes. Once the DSL modem has been power off for 5minutes, power it back on. On the 'Diagnostic' page, click on 'update'.Wait about 30 seconds, and try getting online.

DSL that use a username and password

First log into the Buffalo router ( http://192.168.11.1), the username is root, and there is no password by default; so youcan leave it blank. Once logged in, click on 'Advanced'. Set 'Method ofacquire IP address to'PPPoE Client', and click 'Apply'. Under 'Methodof acquiring IP Address' there is a link 'To set up PPPoE, click here.Click on it. Then click on 'Edit connection list'. Here you will berequired to enter you DSL account information.

Name of Connection: This can be anything.  It only servers as a labelUser Name         : This is the username from your ISP (example john_smith@aol.com)Password          : This is you password for the DSL accountService Name      : Leave Service name blank.

Once you have the information filled in above, click on 'add'.  Now, check to see if you can get online.  

Wireless Security (Both types of DSL)

Setting up security really depends on your network.

If you have any non-buffalo devices, you will not be able touse AOSS. First, you will need to determine what security level all ofthe devices on your network support and pick the strongest that eachone has. The possible encryption options are WEP, WPA-PSK TKIP andWPA-PSK AES. WEP is the weakest, while WPA-PSK AES is the strongest(notevery router and adapter supports AES and TKIP).

Once you've determined what level of security you can use, toset it up go into the router's configuration. You can do this by goingto "http://192.168.11.1"from a Web browser. The username is "root" and there is no password bydefault. Go into Advanced->Wireless Config->Security. Select theradio button for the encryption type you are using. If you are usingWEP, you have 4 choices depending on if you are using HEX or Ascii with64 or 128 bit. Enter your key into the first box. If you are using TKIPor AES, enter a password of at least 8 characters. Click Apply and thenSet to apply the setting. To connect, you will need to enter thepassword or key into each computer that is connecting wirelessly.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 05-26-2009 07:21 PM

marvdmartian

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »
   hmm... alright. thanks a lot. :)