Author Topic: WHR-G300N: DMZ and port-mapping not working?  (Read 8348 times)

Raptor007

• Calf
WHR-G300N: DMZ and port-mapping not working?
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:00:02 AM »

I just moved on from an old wired Linksys router to a shiny new WHR-G300N (firmware 1.60), and I'm having some trouble with DMZ and port-mapping.

I have entered the static IP of one of my workstations into the DMZ box, but was unable to connect to its services from outside the router.  I also tried specifically mapping a port (7000) to that IP.  But no matter what I do, the connection is refused to outside traffic.

Could someone help make the DMZ work?  By the way, I have the switch in On mode since my WAN address is static.  But that shouldn't break DMZ, right?

Also, accessing my IP from outside gives me the configuration page, even though I have "Permit configuration from wired Internet" unchecked!  Shouldn't the request be forwarded to port 80 on my DMZ instead?

Note: This post is inaccurate. When I said "accessing from outside", what I should have said was "accessing the external IP address".

Message Edited by Raptor007 on 05-06-2009 12:19 PM

Raptor007

• Calf
Re: WHR-G300N: DMZ and port-mapping not working?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »

Okay, it turns out my description of the problem isn't quite accurate.  The DMZ actually does work correctly for external traffic.

So the real problem is, when I try to access my WAN IP address from within the LAN, the traffic stops at the router instead of going to my DMZ host.  (This is why the configuration page showed up on port 80.)

This is problematic, because it means I can't access my services by domain name when I'm on my own LAN.  For example, some software on my laptop is configured to always connect to a server on my domain name: this no longer works when my laptop is on my LAN.  Is there a solution for this?

Message Edited by Raptor007 on 05-06-2009 12:07 PM

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »

Hmm.

On some of the older models, the default port for remotely accessing was set to 80. You can change this to something else. Go to Admin Config-->Access-->InternetSide Remote Addressing.

And here, I just copied the text from the help panel on the side concerning this function, hope this helps:

Internet Side Remote Access Setting

IP Address and Port Number to allow remote access from the Internet.

Permit configuration from the wired Internet

Permits administration from a wired computer on the Internet side. If this is selected, enter an IP address and a port number from which remote access from the Internet side is permitted.
 Access from the Internet side is not logged.

Permission IP address

Enter the IP address that will be allowed to remotely manage the router from the Internet side.
To allow all IP addresses, leave this box blank.

Permission Port

Enter the port number for remotely accessing the AirStation’s configuration GUI from the Internet side. Ports between 1 and 65535 may be set.

To remotely configure the AirStation from the Internet side:
Type the following into a browser window (assuming port 8080 and a Internet side IP address of "1.2.3.4"): "http://Http://1.2.3.4:8080".
NAT must be enabled for this to work.

Raptor007

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 02:14:34 PM »

Jason, thanks for the reply.

However, it turns out the problem has nothing to do with InternetSide Remote Addressing. I was mistaken in my original post.

The problem is that LAN traffic intended for my external IP (let's say 1.2.3.4) is actually being processed as though it were directed to my internal IP (10.0.0.1). If I connect to 1.2.3.4:80 from within my LAN, I want this traffic to go to the web server on my DMZ host, but instead it is going to 10.0.0.1:80 (the router configuration page).

Is there any way to fix this behavior?

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
I see, trying to connect to an internal resource externally, while still on your lan. You're most likely running into NAT loopback here. It's going to give you that error everytime, there's no way to alter that behavior, the majority of our routers behave in this way.

Raptor007

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »

Thanks again for the quick reply. I wish it was what I wanted to hear though. :)

Since I'm using the WHR-G300N as my DNS server, is it possible to manually add an entry that resolves my domain name to the LAN address of my DMZ host? (I know I can do this with my computer's hosts file, but that would break access from outside the LAN.)

If that's not possible, can I at least port-map from 10.0.0.1 to other LAN hosts? I tried creating a Port Forwarding entry with the "Internet Side IP Address" set to 10.0.0.1, but it gave me the error message "Cannot specify the LAN side IP address of this AirStation".

erkme73

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »

No replies?  This is a deal breaker for me.  I'm so happy with everything else, but this absolutely cripples me.

Is there any chance the loopback function can be integrated with a future firmware update???

Raptor007

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »

I ended up going back to Linksys; they correctly implement NAT loopback in their stock firmware.

You could try 3rd-party firmware for your Buffalo, like DD-WRT:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N

I don't know who at Buffalo decided that NAT loopback wasn't worth implementing right, but it's a deal-breaker for me too.

cduran1983

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »

Yeah this is so sad, I'm having the same problem and its just a big bummer... Hope they implement this in the next firmware upgrade of the device.

Well my device is a 

WZR-HP-G300NH Ver.1.76 (R2.01/B1.07)

And this happens as well in this one too :smileysad:

Fix this buffalo pleease!!:smileytongue:

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »

cduran1983 wrote:

Yeah this is so sad, I'm having the same problem and its just a big bummer... Hope they implement this in the next firmware upgrade of the device.

Well my device is a 

WZR-HP-G300NH Ver.1.76 (R2.01/B1.07)

And this happens as well in this one too :smileysad:

Fix this buffalo pleease!!:smileytongue:

It is fixed, use the DD-WRT firmware!

And why are you posting this in a thread called "WHR-G300N: DMZ and port-mapping not working? "

/rollseyestoheaven

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!