Author Topic: Wireless bridge - adding a new device -- advice requested  (Read 2092 times)

johnbom

• Calf
Wireless bridge - adding a new device -- advice requested
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »

I need some advice, please:

I just bought a TV that connects to Netflix automatically. I connected it to a Wireless bridge "G" device and it works fine (less than 40 linear feet). It can also connect using a built-in 802.11n adapter -- which I can't test since I only have "G" devices.

The room where I want it to be is about 20 linear feet further with plenty of obstructions. 

Here are the questions:

1. How do I incorporate a new Buffalo "N" device -- and which "N" device should I choose?
  2. How do I repurpose any of my existing devices -- and how?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Devices in network -- all with stock/latest firmware:

WHR-HP-G54  Airstation Wireless-G High Power -- connected to the TWC/Earthlink Webstar cablemodem by Scientific Atlanta model # DPC2100R2

WHR-G125 

Above set-up in a WDS bridge using directions from this site.

WLI-UC-GN   Wireless N Ultra Compact USB 2.0 adapter

Dell 2130cn wired lan printer connected directly to the G54

Vizio Netflix ready TV with built-in 802.11N adapter

I have a Popcorn Hour A-110 connected to the G125 (works perfectly BTW).

Various Wireless "G" devices (work laptop, android cellphones, etc)

johnbom

• Calf
Re: Wireless bridge - adding a new device -- advice requested
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:23:39 AM »

I can't get the vizio to connect to the  G125 to connect to the internet. I tested an XP laptop to see if that would work, but couldn't get an IP address.

So -- Which "N" device do I need to get that best fits the current network I have?

Thanks!

johnbom

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:17:18 PM »

I bought the 300NH and it connects very well to the VIZIO, I only get 2 bars on the VIZIO, but that seems to be enough to stream Netflix.

Now, I need to connect either a WHR- G125 or WHR-HP-G54 to the 300NH so I can connect a few wired devices in a different room.

Anyone have detailed instructions or advice as to which device to partner up?

Thanks!

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:54:09 PM »

I would look into flashing dd-wrt on either of those (whr-hp-g54 or whr-g125 both are dd-wrt supported) and then you could set up a 'client mode' for multiple wired devices. I don't think the stock buffalo firmware can do this, without using WDS, in which case, you can't mix chipsets with WDS, it won't hold.

johnbom

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »

I have successfully flashed the G125 to DD-WRT v24-sp2.

It only took me a little bit (:smileywink:).

However, I have a new hiccup. The 300NH died. It isn't visible to wired or wireless clients...

Stay tuned!

johnbom

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »

On the suggestion of support - I flashed the G00NH to 1.76. I didn't realize it was the friendly version of the firmware and in addition it didn't recognize my internet connection. I flashed to professional off the CD-ROM and that seemed to do the trick.

I've flashed my G125 to v24 of DD-WRT and will mess with that over this weekend to get my wireless bridge back up.

Thanks