Author Topic: attempting to switch from Westell 327w to WHR-HP-G54...help?  (Read 2963 times)

fotyc

• Calf
attempting to switch from Westell 327w to WHR-HP-G54...help?
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »

I thought I was smart enough to do this, but apparently not...

I currently run a Westell 327w wireless gateway, which is modem and router in one, using Verizon DSL.  Verizon supports the 327w, but not the Buffalo.  I search around for something a little more reliable than the Westell and came up with Buffalo.

I have an old Westell 2200 DSL model, I switched it to bridge mode, and tried wiring up everything to configure the setup.  I copied all the config from my Westell before turning it off and unplugging it.  I have a couple of older Dell laptops and was using a D505 running XP Pro SP3 to do these tests.  I can only run WEP from these Dells, I've been using a 10 digit key with them and the Westell.  For some reason, the G54 will only accept a 5 or 13 digit key with WEP.

I definitely get DSL connectivity with the modem, and after some fiddling it appears I get connectivity with the cable from the PC into the G54, but when I set up the wireless and tried connecting, the results I got were that the wireless adapter was 'associated' and the signal was strong, but it couldn't get the IP address.  After some reading around, I got the idea that something was wrong with the DHCP (something about seeing an IP address starting with 169 in my ipconfig is a sign that something is wrong) but I could not see anything telling me what specifically was wrong or how to fix it.

I replugged in the 327w and the wireless continues to connect just fine to all the laptops.  Before I conclude I'm too stupid to upgrade, can anyone give me some quick steps and checks to correctly configure the wireless in the G54?  I feel like I am missing something obvious.

In my 327w configuration, the primary and secondary DNS were 0.0.0.0 but those don't work in the G54, however I seem to have gotten past that issue.  Do I need to complete fields about things like default gateway?  Verizon won't talk to me if they find out I'm trying to configure a router they don't support.

Thanks for reading this far... usually I'm pretty good at solving this kind of issue but this has me frustrated. 

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: attempting to switch from Westell 327w to WHR-HP-G54...help?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:20:04 PM »
You can change the WEP key to Hexidecimal Input: 10 Characters in the Advanced->Wireless Config->Security section of the web interface.