Author Topic: WHR-G300N wlan connection breaking problem  (Read 11136 times)

Cirrus

• Calf
WHR-G300N wlan connection breaking problem
« on: March 21, 2009, 01:34:14 AM »

Hello.

I having problems with the wlan connection. When doing normal surfing the connection doesn't break up, but if I ever start to transfer data more heavily the connection starts breaking up. Has anyone else suffering this? I use the 300MHz mode since one of my computers have buffalo 300 usb wlan stick. The router itself doesn't totally reset since I have started to use one of my machines trough wired connection and that machine keeps it's internet connection all the time. I have tested different security modes and different channels, but that doesn't seem to help.

The breaking seems to have become more frequent now, but it was there originally also. Also the router has crashed couple times so that it's red diagnose LED has lit and only taking of it's electricity has restored it.

I am starting to get feeling that maybe I have defective unit or something.

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: WHR-G300N wlan connection breaking problem
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
What firmware version do you have?  It will be under the ADMIN tab in your interface.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »

I've never had a problem doing transfers although I've only used G since I don't have an N adapter yet.

Firmware v1.60

Cirrus

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:10:58 AM »
   My firmware is 1.60.

Weltherrscher

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 11:06:12 AM »

I can confirm the WLAN Connection Break with FW 1.60.

But only WLAN->WAN AND if i use torrent with heavy Connections.

LAN->WAN does'nt suffer this Problem.

WLAN->LAN works flawlessly 6..7MB/s (Intel WLAN...).

Would be nice if this could be fixed in v1.6x!

Cirrus

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 11:21:55 AM »

Your symptoms seems very familiar. Except I haven't tested or noticed that during the break wlan -> lan connection is still working. But good to know it's not just me then. Time to switch routers again. Ass offtopic ranting: This buffalo is my seventh router in price class between $40-$200. When I will came across router that workd flawlessly.

alagus

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 04:49:43 AM »

Same here. Wireless breaks time to time. Even with normal web browsing... :(

Had the problem with 1.60 and still have it with 1.64

Joe_N

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »

Check the log data ('Diagnostics'...'Log'), just after you get a break in connection - you will probably find a wpa rekey event. I had this, with a break lasting between 20 -30 seconds - you can change the rekey interval from once every hour (default) to half a day (1440 minutes) but I had also upgraded to 1.64, which is very unstable.

I have since replaced my WHR-G300N with a router from another manufacturer, rekeys do not cause dropouts anymore. I'm holding on to my WHR hoping Buffalo will get this sorted out soon. 

paperbag

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 11:35:45 PM »

for me, when i transfer a large file (> 200mb), it can break at any time and i'm hard wired to ethernet port 1.  forget about going to dd-wrt firmware, it won't fix it.  my linksys wrt160n is the primary router now.

christo

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 10:42:22 AM »

I'm experiencing these symptoms. WHR-G300N Ver.1.64 (R1.05/B1.09). Wireless breaks for a few seconds in the middle of large transfers, like an itunes podcast download (so wan-wireless), moving directories between machines (wireless-> wireless), backups (wireless->wired NAS).  Auto channel selection is off, which should be the default I think - it was the cause of a slew of other problems.

Breakage happened reliably when I started itunes on my XP wireless laptop.  I have my music library on a (Buffalo) NAS, wired to the WHR.  The Itunes downloads directory is also on the NAS, and itunes was configured to start downloads on startup.   With *no other* network traffic on my LAN, and monitoring RTTs with ping from laptop to NAS, I would see a spike in RTT and then timeouts, lasting a few seconds, enough for windows to take the NAS filesystem offline.  If I happened to be playing music at the time, itunes would mark the song as missing (really annoying).

Ping RTTs from the (wired) NAS to the WHR never change.  So my symptoms are isolated to wireless.  However, this is definitely *not* a channel problem.  I've tried all channels and the RTT spikes manifest only and always on sustained read/writes to the NAS (which is really my only way to generate sustained network traffice easilty), or on sustained writes between wireless devices.  The spikes don't always necessarily result in timeouts (at least according to ping), but they are always there with sustained network traffic. Seems to happen more often on writes, but not enough evidence of that to be sure.

Nothing in the WHR logs for the times of outage.  Simultaneous pings to the WHR from laptop also showed timeouts, so it seems the device itself is dropping packets. I haven't hacked IP in 20 years but it sounds like a queue/buffer size problem to me.

A workaround for the itunes problem was to make the download folder "available offline".  This didn't stop the network outage but would allow me to start itunes without losing the folder.  My music directory is entirely too large to make available offline, so I currently cannot listen to music while there are downloads.

This is extremely frustrating.  Willing to work with it a few days but very close to exchanging for another brand.  A wireless router that loses wireless when it gets traffic is worse than useless.

-Christo

mtk

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »

This is unacceptable.... I can't believe they are not addressing this with a firmware update. We need that update really fast.

My computers are disconnecting all the time. Sometimes, I have to turn off the wireless cards... other times I have to reboot the router...

Please FIX IT !!

Joe_N

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 03:59:10 AM »

Christo do you see any wpa-psk rekey events in the log when the connection break occurs?

christo

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 09:55:12 AM »

Joe,

I'm running open (no security, no authentication - my house is in the middle of nowhere), so I don't get rekey events anyway, but the logs show nothing at these times.  Is there a way to increase the logging verbosity? 

-Christo

vetoveljet

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »

I have same problem.

Model - WZR-HP-G300NH Ver.1.65 (R1.66/B1.03)

Mode Switch Status - Router Mode ON 

No BitTorrent active, Lacie USB HD linked.

Cable modem Cisco EPC3000. Home network of 1 Linux laptop and 2 Linux based Satellite RX'x - all connected by cable. 2 computers using WLAN - mostly only 1 is online. Connection lost/frozen quite many times per day when I had external HD connected. Now I dropped it out so lets see if it helps.

But if reason is NAT table filling so quickly - aren't there any other solutions than restarting? How about built in "cronjob" like in Linux clearing tables automatically say every 4 hours etc. As you see - I have new software but problem still exists.

christo

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 08:32:08 AM »

What makes you think the problem is related to NAT?  For me the symptoms are associated with sustained traffic between two machines, this shouldn't impact NAT.

Is there another thread you are watching in which this was discussed?

-Christo