Author Topic: WHR-G54S seems crashed when there are many bt connections  (Read 6325 times)

xg

• Calf
WHR-G54S seems crashed when there are many bt connections
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:17:24 PM »

There is only one wired client which is a workstation and running WindowsXP SP3. These two days, I have used a BT client (uTorrent) very heavily, say, there are more than 60 seeds at the same time, and I guess there may be more than 600 concurrent connections.  At the beginning, it works just fine. But after nearly 4 or 5 hours, the WHR-G54S seems crashed. The sympton is a little strange, the uTorrent still can have some active connection to the internet, it can continue to download and upload data,  but I can't ping reaching the router(G54S), and I can't access the web server (http://192.168.11.1)  either.  And the name resolving is totally failed, in my workstation it can't resolve any domain name into IP address, so I can't access any website. There are only one thing I can do under such a situation, which is to reboot the router (G54S), and after a cold reset, every thing become ok.  But after 4 or 5 hours, it will crash again. 

Is there any solution to fix the problem I met? I already updated to the latest firmware ver 1.4.

qda

• Calf
Re: WHR-G54S seems crashed when there are many bt connections
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:39:50 PM »
   I can generally max out my speed with fewer than 100 concurrent connections. Limit your client.

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:38:42 PM »

Change the default setting for the number of access.  If you have more than 600 concurrent connections, you need to put the router in the vertical position.  If the vertical position don't help, one solution is to put a heat sink on the chip inside.  You overloaded your system with more than 600 concurrent connections to cause the chip "thermo runaway"-miss function.  This router is not designed for such use.  Not even the high power WHR-HP-G54 can handle such a heavy load.

xg

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:02:23 PM »

Thanks slpip and qda .I have a special case which need to handle such a heavy load. 

Per slpip's reply, this should be a overheat problem. Then I am a little doubting that if it's a overheat problem, why it will recover immedietaly after a reset? You know, a reset can not make it cool down so quickly, right?

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:21:21 AM »
Alot of translation happening there, not really surprising, this router is just designed for home use, not for such heavy use on a regular basis.

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »
   If a simple reset can solve the problem, it is clearly a buffer problem.  With the Buffalo firmware 1.4 the buffer is not enough to handle the heavy traffic.  This router works better with dd-wrt or Tomato so that you have more tweaking to handle such a heavy traffic.  I have Tomato v1.08 on both of my WHR-G54S and one WHR-HP-G54.  Great to use Tomato instead of Buffalo 1.4.

xg

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »

slpip, You are absolutely right. This is what I did two days ago. I upgraded it to the tomato firmware ver 1.23, and it works really fine. The default number of connections supported by the tomato firmware is 4096.