Author Topic: WHR-G54S Wireless Going Off  (Read 7293 times)

Alfatran

• Calf
WHR-G54S Wireless Going Off
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:48:54 AM »

We have been using this router in our small office for quite a while and it has been working fine.  Lately when we come in in the morning the WiFi does not seem to be working.  All the computers except one are wired to the router but the one computer cannot connect just about every morning.  I have an iPhone and I verified that the WiFi signal is just not there.  The router doesn't show up in the list of available networks either.

I end up having to restart the router almost every morning.

The wired computers are connected fine, just nothing on wireless.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Hopefully the wireless radio isn't going out.

Thanks.

kevin

• El Toro
Re: WHR-G54S Wireless Going Off
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »

Most likely on of two things:

First, it could be interferrance, try changing the wireless channel (in the Wireless Basic page). First try 1, 6, 11 because these are the furthest apart.

Second, try resetting the router and set it back up manually (not the easy setup).

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:19:49 PM »

Wireless router can be easly interfered by wireless phone or walkie talkie operating in 24 Mhz to cause lost wireless signal.  Another problem is your router must setup with auto channel instead of a fix channel 1, 6, or 11.  I would use a fix channel so that the router would not change channel when it senses any nearby interference.  When the router change channel, it lost signal for a certain time.  Some security setting can cause signal lost because the router has to detect the security codes of the network devices.  It could cause wireless signal lost.  The other reason is the lease time of the router.  Each connected device has certain lease time to connect with the router such as 1440 minutes (24 hrs).  After 1440 minutes, the router will end the lease time of the connected device.  I prefer to turn off my router from 3 am to 4 pm to refresh the router and renew the lease time of the network devices.

Alfatran

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:03:41 AM »

I don't see how it could be interference since it's happening every single morning.  We don't use any cordless phones or walkie talkies.  The network does not even show up in my iPhone until I restart the router.

As for the DHCP, again, wouldn't the SSID show up in my iPhone's list of networks?  Once I restart the router the iPhone, and the desktop computer, both connect immediately.

I will try the channel suggestion, though.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »

DHCP is the way the router hands out IP address, it has nothing to do the SSID (Name of the wireless network).

I would recommend resetting the router and setting it back up.

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »
   DHCP has nothing to do with SSID name.  I use DHCP Dynamic IP most the time because my router would change the assigned IP address according to my FiOS provider.  It is much stable than use DHCP Static IP address for the router.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »
Right, its best to use DHCP unless you are provided with a static IP.

Alfatran

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:54 AM »

What I meant was, even if something was wrong with DHCP wouldn't the router still broadcast it's SSID?  When the problem happens, if you scan for available wireless networks, the Buffalo router does not show up until after restarting it.

It has been working OK for the past couple of mornings so I have just left it alone.  

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
The most likely causes are either wireless interference, or the radio on the router is starting to give out.  If changing the wireless channel did not correct the issue contact your local support office for an RMA.

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 07:33:24 PM »
   There is a setting in the router configuration to keep the router wireless on all the time instead of only in demand.  Look for this setting and change it to "on".  The other setting is the "lease time" of the connected device.  Normal setting is 1440 minutes.  You can set a longer lease time.  I have a timer to turn off the router at 3 am and turn the router back on at 4 am so that the router can cool down and refresh the buffer.