Author Topic: Losing connection after a few hours with the router whr-g54s-eu  (Read 3294 times)

cesm23

• Calf

I have a internet connection from my tvcable provider (netcabo portugal) and i am using a thompson modem. Also my isp uses dhcp to get ip, so internet doesn't work if the ip isn't attributed by a remote dhcp server.

I have just bought a new router (buffalo whr-g54s) so that i could share my internet connection to another pc by wireless. I have connected from my cable modem to the router and then i connect my pc to a lan port on the router and everything work ok, at least initially. After a few hours of everything working perfectly, a few hours later (from about 6-12 hours later), suddently all the following happens without a appearant reason or pattern in both the computer connected with the cable and in the wirelessly connected pc :

- i can't open any websites anymore INCLUDING the router's own configuration page

- i can't connect to windows live mensenger anymore

- utorrent work partially (like, the trackers don't connect/update anymore) but they still download/upload without problems

- teamviewer (remote desktop sharing) still works perfectly

- same of all of the above in the computer connected wirelessly, altough the wireless connection itself seems perfectly ok since i can use remote desktop sharing perfectly

After this, if i either disconnect the power from the router or if i reset it, it all returns to normal again without having to even touch the computer or the cable modem itself, i mean, everything starts working perfectly!

What the heck is this ? I am tired of googling for this everywhere and i can't find anyone with this problem...
I am really tired of having to reset or disconect and reconnect the router every few random hours ! I would prefer to avoid doing a firmware update, since i don't think this is the problem... By the way months ago i also had another router, borrowed from a friend and i already had at the time the exact same problem, altough it happened each 24 hours and i think it was something related to leasing time, altough i am unable to find that setting in this new router from buffalo...

Also the problem is clearly not the firewall or OS i use, since what i do in the pc doesn't affect the router itself, and besides wireless get the same problem too so it's clearly a problem in the router or some kind of configuration that is needed for this internet connection. 

slpip

• Tatanka
Re: Losing connection after a few hours with the router whr-g54s-eu
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »
   Since you have cable modem, the router should use DHCP dynamic IP address for WAN and LAN.  So that when the cable lost connection, the router can reconnect with the dynamic IP address when the cable connected again.