Author Topic: Bridging 2 WHR-HP-G54s, can't get xbox connected.  (Read 6689 times)

dmspen

• Calf
Bridging 2 WHR-HP-G54s, can't get xbox connected.
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »

Hi,

I currently have a WHR-HP-G54 as my wireless router. I have a WLI-TX4-G54 wireless ethernet converter which connects my xbox 360 and my DISH receiver. Worked fine - simply connected it via AOSS and I was good to go.

I'm trying to add another access point for my stepson so he can connect his xbox 360 and dish receiver (same network). I bought another WHR-HP-G54 router. I've set it to bridge mode via the underside switch. I tried AOSS and the AOSS lights kept flashing with no connection. I've tried the whole manual setup according to the manual. I can talk to the bridge when it's hard wired to the router, but after I disconnect - no joy. I have MAC addresses listed in both, WDS enabled, same channel, DHCP enabled on the router.

It seems like it might connect wirelessly sometimes, but when I try an xbox live connect, it can't retrieve an IP from the router. I'm not sure at this point if it's because the bridge isn't connected or if there's a config issue somewhere with the xbox.

I think I'm going to try setting an IP address on the bridge and using that.

Am I missing something? I did find a Microsoft KB item about opening ports, so I will try that also, although I didn't have to do that with the ethernet converter box.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

slpip

• Tatanka
Re: Bridging 2 WHR-HP-G54s, can't get xbox connected.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:25:21 AM »
   It appears the second access point router has wrong configuration for the wireless setting.  Please try to set the second router with a static IP address within the range of the first router, and set the DHCP with dynamic IP address for the second router.  Enable the wireless function of the second access point router.  If you can connect your internet through the second access point router, you can configure the Xbox wireless adapter to connect the access point router.

dmspen

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 02:58:24 PM »
   Thanks, I'll give that a shot. AOSS worked like a chram with my ethernet converter. I had hoped this would be just as easy. I'll rport back after I try this.

dmspen

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »

OK, I set a static IP address on the bridge. I was able to get the bridge and router talking. At least the bridge shows up in the CLient list with a WDS connection. [Note: Can I just set up a wireless connection without WDS?]

I connected my laptop to the bridge. I couldn't get a connection immediately.

I went into the manual TCP/IP settings, assigned an IP in my IP set, set the router as the DNS server and the bridge as the default gateway.

This got me connected to the internet. I'll have to see what happens when I power down and back up. Isn't this stuff supposed to connect/set automatically?

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:40:42 PM »
   It should be the same if you have a static IP address within the router DHCP range.

dmspen

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:28:18 AM »

After setting the IP addresses and all the rest, I finally got on the internet. I unplugged and set up in another room, plugged in and Voila!

Thanks for the help.

lorcan

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »

so can you connect to xbox live with the buffalo aoss system because i have a ps3 and it works fine but i want to get an xbox for games like halo.... so does it work , thanks :):smileytongue: