Author Topic: NO DNS possible with ... WHR-G300N  (Read 5496 times)

tomtom

• Calf
NO DNS possible with ... WHR-G300N
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:06:28 AM »

Hi,

i use the WHR-G300N (Ver.1.60 (R1.49/B1.09) ) in a Lan with a switch and a router to internet (DSL).

All other PC's have no problems to connect internet.

1. I have connect to the internet - fine, but

2. no DNS resolve work. 

3. My Zxel DSL- Modem made a web-forward for all access from wireless connection (checked protokoll)

Means, i can type IP-Number on my Notebook and is working fine, but www.mysite.com is not working. 

Put i laptop on the cable network...all working fine. 

Any ideas?

Tom

PS: No firewall on the laptop.

Message Edited by tomtom on 01-08-2009 11:52 AM added Firmware
Message Edited by tomtom on 01-08-2009 12:27 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: NO DNS possible with ... WHR-G300N
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:24:11 PM »

If your problem is only with one computer, try Start->Run, "cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns" without quotes, then reboot the computer.

If the issue is with all computers connecting to the router, try resetting the router and setting it up again.

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »

That Zyxel modem, you sure it's not a hybrid device, you do have dsl.

Could be double NAT, what's the IP address you get when you're directly connected into it?

tomtom

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »

@Collin - very helpfully :manmad:, i gave spent over 10 hours and that's not my first network setup

@eyehearawk

What do you mean with  "what's the IP address you get when you're directly connected into it?"

Where connected in...? I have a static network ... only the G300 can use with 5 IP's DHCP. 

The Zyxel have 192.168.1.1  and is configured as gateway.

Line 1:

1. Internet with ip is ok

2.  Line up: Laptop/iphone/other wireless -> G300N -> Switch (Netgear) -> Zyxel -> DSL-Modem

Line 2:

1. Internet work fine...

2. Line 2: PC/Laptop/PS3/other cable device -> Switch (Netgear) -> Zyxel -> DSL-Modem

When you say double NAT, why work then with direct IP ?

Thanks for help...

tom

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 08:21:57 AM »

Not sure what you're doing here.

You configuring the router as an AP?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:25:11 AM »
Ok that clarifies things a bunch. Eyeheartawk was correct with the guess of double NAT. You'll want to set up the router in bridge mode, so that it acts as an access point, not as a router, since you already have a router (Zyxel). I'm not 100% sure there's a switch for it, but I'm pretty sure :) . Look for a switch on the router that either says Router on/off (more likely) or Auto/Bri (less likely). The switch should be set to Off or Bri. This will turn the routing functions off, so all DHCP and Gateway functions will just be passed through to the Zyxel. Make sure you hook up the connection from the switch to the Buffalo router in one of the number ports on the Buffalo, not the WAN or Internet port.