Author Topic: WLI-U2-KG54-AI  (Read 6200 times)

clooperB

• Calf
WLI-U2-KG54-AI
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:47:47 PM »

Recently installed XP(previous windows se)on an old laptop of mine(Acer 730txv)and now trying to get this wireless adapter working properly. I did a normal install from setup disk. Problem is that the laptop seems to drop the device all together and it only works properly for a short while when laptop is powered up and device is installed. When it drops out I try to disconnect/reconnect the device but it no longer shows up as the wireless adapter in the device manager under "network adapters" rather it shows up as an unknown usb device in "universal serial bus controllers".

Any ideas?

BTW, the device seemed to work "OK" under WinSE....old "hardware" incompatibility???

Thanks

clooperB

• Calf
Re: WLI-U2-KG54-AI
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:50:53 PM »
   Forgot to mention that I did try to update to the latest driver....no difference.

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »
   Did you install Service Pack 2 for XP?

clooperB

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:42:58 PM »
   Yes...(no Service Pack 3 yet though).

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
Also, make sure that you have the latest system chipset drivers installed for your motherboard, most notably for the motherboard's USB controller, as this can help the board communicate with the USB device more reliably.

clooperB

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »

As I stated in the original post, I think the old hardware IS the biggest problem, unfortunately it appears there are no drivers and such available for this particular laptop for the newer hardware/XP. This old laptop has USB(1.1 likely) and 2 PCMCIA slots. The adapter worked "pretty well" with WinSE but is really messed up since loading XP. It worked for a few seconds than fell out. Now when plugged in XP doesn't know what it is and loads in in Device Manager from "unknown device" in the USB listings to even a CDRom(heh). I also have tryed a Wireless PCMCIA adapter and it too cannot be recognized. Oh, one other thing I tryed was to switch the adapter off of the AI(auto-install) setting(course the tab broke off :smileysad:)to enable me to load the drivers from the CD...no luck. Did a Google search and found here someone with similar issues.

Should mention that I also tryed to install on a (newer) desktop system...having problems there also...perhaps the unit itself is(now)defective.

Thanks

Message Edited by clooperB on 01-05-2009 12:21 PM