Author Topic: Pls help with Router security key  (Read 7713 times)

Luci

• Calf
Pls help with Router security key
« on: January 01, 2009, 02:10:34 PM »

Hello~  I have a Buffalo Router  WHR-HP-G54.  It was installed about 10 mos ago professionally.  The router works fine with an exsiting Toshiba laptop in the home.  I have just purchased a Sony Vaio and need connect this to the router as well.   Vaio setup is asking for the 'security key' or 'passphrase' in order to complete the wireless connection.   I don't have this, as this was professionally installed for me, and I do not recall getting this info for future use.  If I did, it's long gone.  I have called the store where I purchased the router and first Laptop, and was told to check *this* website for the router settings and should find this 'passphrase' here.....

Well I can't find it :smileysad:   where do I find this ?  I have the IP address, but that's it.   I also need it to connect my new wireless HP printer...help!

thanks! 

Luci 

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Pls help with Router security key
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:51:16 AM »

Wireless Security Setup (WHR style GUI)

Setting up security really depends on your network.

If you have all buffalo products with AOSS on your network, youcan use that for security. To do this, press the AOSS button on yourrouter for a few seconds until the AOSS light starts blinking, thenopen up the client manager on your wireless computer and click the AOSSbutton in the profile tab. The two will set up a secure connection.Just repeat the same process for all wireless devices.

If you have any non-buffalo devices, you will not be able touse AOSS. First, you will need to determine what security level all ofthe devices on your network support and pick the strongest that eachone has. The possible encryption options are WEP, WPA-PSK TKIP andWPA-PSK AES. WEP is the weakest, while WPA-PSK AES is the strongest(notevery router and adapter supports AES and TKIP).

Once you've determined what level of security you can use, toset it up go into the router's configuration. You can do this by goingto "http://192.168.11.1"from a Web browser. This must be done from a wired connection or afunctional wireless connection. The username is "root" and there is nopassword by default. Go into Advanced->Wireless Config->Security.Select the radio button for the encryption type you are using. If youare using WEP, you have 4 choices depending on if you are using HEX orAscii with 64 or 128 bit. Enter your key into the first box. If you areusing TKIP or AES, enter a password of at least 8 characters. ClickApply and then Set to apply the setting. To connect, you will need toenter the password or key into each computer that is connectingwirelessly.

Luci

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »

Thank you Paul.   I followed the link and reset the password.  It appears that the previous laptop was using AES, because this option was selected and a password was in the space provided, but it was hidden.  So I changed the password, apply and set, but I was unable to establish the wireless connection.  I've been afraid to mess with the router or AOSS button, but it looks like I'll have to try that next.   The router was orginally configured during the in-home set up, and I've been afraid to lose the security that was configured then...the tech had some trouble during setup...took him 45 mins.   So that makes me, the less than savvy PC user, button shy.     should I be worried??

Thanks again!   

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »
   Don't bother reseting the router. In that same wireless config tab where you selected security and set a new password, you can hit basic instead. Here in the SSID box give it a new name. Your computer is probably still associating that old password with that name. Change it and then try it again.

Luci

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »

:smileyvery-happy:Thanks!  Actually the changes I made yesterday did end up solving the connection problem.   Paul, your original instructions did work, but it seems the system needed more time that what it states to recognize the new password.   It shows '60 min' to allow for the change, but it was closer to 24 hrs.....FYI. 

I decided to try one more time before trying again to reset the password, or reset the router....did not have to do either.  I'm glad I checked :)   

Will guard that info and password with care :smileytongue:  

Thank you both for your input~

Luci

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »
Glad you got it working!  Let us know if there's anything else you need!

ekzept

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 02:31:06 PM »
   On this point, anyone know how to easily change the default username "root" without hacking a save/restore file and reloading it into the configuration?  Will that work BTW? This is for a Buffalo Airstream High Power Access Point.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 07:00:04 PM »
I'm sorry but the username root is hard coded into the router however you can change the password associated with it but that's all you can do. It should be in the Admin Config settings.