Author Topic: WBMR-G125 set up  (Read 6733 times)

Briang

• Calf
WBMR-G125 set up
« on: December 28, 2008, 04:15:01 PM »

Apologies for the naivety of this post, but I know nothing about networks... Anyway. I am trying to set up a wireless network for 2 machines using the above ADSL router and WLI-U2-SG54HG USB adaptor. I have tried to follw the procedure on the included cd and have got one machine to connect wirelessly to the internet (I`ve not attempted the second until I get the system working staisfactorily). The problems are:

1) The wireless connection drops randomly every few minutes and I need to reconnect it - when running it says "excellent connection, signal strength 100% (sometimes a bit less) and 54 Mbps". This occurs no matter how close the 2 devices are.

2) The internet connection speed is MUCH SLOWER than my old ADSL USB modem - up to 5x (when measured using speedtest.net. The best, when ethernet connected to the computer is 2/3rds the old speed

Clearly I have something set incorrectly, but really don`t know where to start. Can anybody point me towards a simple Noddy guide. I`m sorry, but I don`t even know where to look for the firmware version I am using, but the router was only purchased earlier this month, so cannot be too far out of date.

Thanks in anticipation of your expert directions.

Briang 

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: WBMR-G125 set up
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »

First make sure your firmware on the router is up to date, then check different channel settings as well as disabling frame bursting features.

Also test the speed wired VS wireless.   This will help point to what is causing the issue. 

Briang

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »

Thanks for those suggestions. I shall try , as you suggest.

My tests did include a wired vs. wireless test - the wired was around 3 times faster than wireless (speedtest result 1012 vs. 273 kbps).

Today, I have moved my usb wireless adaptor to the other computer and the signal has NOT dropped once and is showing 54 Mbs connection speed and 100% good signal with the router on the same floor, but in a different room.

In your experience can WIRED burglar alarm systems have an effect on such routers? The original location was in a "cupboard" containing the control and power panel for the house system.

Briang

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:13:02 PM »
I am not familiar with all models, but if it broadcasts in any way it will interfere.

Briang

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 02:45:07 PM »

I have done some checking and frame bursting is already disabled.

Changing the channel seems to make no dufference

I`m not sure about firmware status. Looking at 192.168.11.1 I can see 2 firmware versions: gateway 1.00.4 dated June 2007 and wireless 3.130 RC 35.4. Unfortunately, when I access the european downloads site for Buffalo, my WBMR G125 is not specifically listed, so choosing what I "think" is the only G125 high speed router modem option, the download is designated whrg125. Whilst I have downloaded this, I am loathe to do the upgrade, since I see no way of getting back if it is wrong. Do I need to contact Buffalo service to check?

Interestingly, when playing around with the screens at 192.168.11.1, I noticed the time zone was wrongly set. However, when I tried to adjust and apply I got a message "the web site is not available" Couldn`t get it to change, just got that same message, BUT if I accessed it from IE instead of Google Chrome (my preferred browser), it updated without problem......

There is no wireless attached to my burglar alarm, but since ALL electronic devices emit EMR to some degree, I assume there is some effect - whether strong enough to disrupt the signal, I don`t know.

Thanks again.

Briang

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »

Try enabling the tx/rx boost on your wifi cards, also see if enabling frambursting on your router helps.  For the firmware please contact your local support and request the location of the new firmware.

Briang

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »

Thanks. When the Christmas break is over I shall contact customer service. Thanks for all your help.

Briang