Author Topic: How should I set up the antennas on the WZR-HP-G300NH router?  (Read 4573 times)

madmook

• Calf

Hi all,

I just got the WZR-HP-G300NH router, and although I haven't set it up yet, I'd like to get some preliminary input on how the antennas work, as I have never used a wifi router with antennas like these before. I've gone through the PDF manual, but it doesn't even bother to mention the antennas.

What sort of configuration should I set the flip-up antennas in? Are they best when flipped straight up vertically, or should I angle them to get better signal strength towards a certain direction (does that even work)? Which side should face towards my desired coverage angle: the flat paddle side or the thin side? Speaking of the paddle shape, one side is a matte surface and the other has a glossy surface. Is there any operational difference between the two sides?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but thanks in advance for any responses!

madmook

• Calf
Re: How should I set up the antennas on the WZR-HP-G300NH router?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
   Got my router all set up and things seem to be running smoothly, but I'd love some input on whether there's any benefits to angling the flip-up antennas over setting them up vertically. I have the router on one end of the house, so it'd be great if I could "direct" the signal towards one side (rather than just having a plain 360 degree radius), but I need to know if angling the antennas results in this effect.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
   I don't have that router yet but I'd think straight up is best, not sure if the antennas are directional or not.

p2k

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »

These antennas are omni directional so they product even coverage 360 degrees around it when pointed vertically.

The antenna pattern looks like Donut with the antenna in the center.

If you live on a 1 story apartment then it really doesnt matter.

But if you live on a 2 or more story. You may wish to angle one of the antennas from vertical.