Author Topic: cannot bridge two WHR-G300N  (Read 20482 times)

rthrasher

• Calf
Re: cannot bridge two WHR-G300N
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 05:26:21 PM »
   I'm just thinking about bridging two WHR-HP-G54's and have had no success.  Would you mind sending me your config? 

FallenC

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »

an access point that requires wired bridge? isn't it the same as any REGULAR wireless router with proper configuration hooked up to any jack of a regular wired network??

honestly that's what it seems like to me and the use of the terms Access Point and Bridging was obviously misleading

Message Edited by FallenC on 01-05-2009 07:17 PM
Message Edited by FallenC on 01-05-2009 07:18 PM

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »
   Yeah, when anyones sees it said like "Wireless Access Point and Bridge" they'll automatically assume it's wireless which is what the thing is about.

Willott

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 02:22:54 AM »

It's not even said like that... it's "Wireless Router, Access Point and Bridge", so following on from the logic that it's a wired bridge, it's obviously a wired access point (wire to wire, no wireless involved, it's only the routing that's wireless... oh, wait, that's a bit strange) as well... a) what is one of those, b) what's the point.

I have put a request into Buffalo support for either firmware which support bridging functionality, or RMA authorisation for all 3 items so that I may return them to the supplier. I'll let you know of any response I get.

Willott

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 05:55:04 AM »

Response from Buffalo support:

"Yes the setup you oultline in your e-mail is possible however, it is not possible with these models of Buffalo router as the Wireless Bridging Functionality was not added to this model,

The model that you could use for the desired setup is WHR-G125"

Right, that's wonderful... why put it on the box then?! Have requested RMA to credit from them, and will see what I get back... it's taking them about 3-4 days to reply. Going to get the supplier to chase them as well, then go to Trading Standards types if I get nowhere that way.

Will let you know how I fair.

Will

TheMeal

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 05:05:31 AM »

Is there an update to the possibility of using a WHR-G300N as a wireless bridge?  I fall into the same camp of the other folks who purchased based on the phrasing of the product specs, but failed to accomplish what they were after, and then turned to the web.

I don't see anything on this page about WDS, but is this product expected to have that functionality?  Because if it is, then that's what I really want. :)

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/nfiniti-wireless-n-dual-band/nfiniti-wireless-n-dual-band-ethernet-converter-wli-tx4-ag300n/

Thanks. 

Laxen

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »

My box doesn't say "Wireless Router, Access Point and Bridge", it says:

Wireless-N Nfiniti

Broadband Router, Access Point & Bridge

And I am very unhappy too with the marketing/sales for this product!

Will be returning mine tomorrow...

LusoNC

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »

This is amazing... we can call it a bridge because users can connect two of them by using a wireline/cable.

Maybe Buffalo should create a new Wireline product category on their website and stick the WHR-G300N in there.

What pi$$e$ me off the most is that in 6 months of customer complaints on the subject, Buffalo has yet to change their packaging to prevent customers from being misled. I bought mine today (February 17th 2009) and am suffering the same problem as everyone on this thread.

Suggestions to the Buffalo MODs on this forum: please have the decency to at least apologize on behalf of your company for the boo-boo that is this situation... the wireline bridge response is a load of c#$p and you know that.

First and LAST Buffalo-tech product I will ever buy.

chriswong11

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 11:31:54 AM »

I bought my 1st wireless AP since the 90s. From the first one to this last one, I am a loyal Buffalo fans..

However, I just found out my new WHR-G300N does not support WDS...

I am really disappointed and this will be my last product from buffalo

I never understand why you can miss out something so important for a Router/Wireless AirStation, which is totally ridiculous

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 07:04:48 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_bridge

I don't mean to nitpick, but the term "network bridge" simply means a device that connects two segments of a network. When the device is in Bridge Mode ( router switch is "Off" ), the routing functions and dhcp server are disabled, and the device will act as a bridge between the wireless access point on the device to a wired network that it's connected to. This is typically used in business networks to add a wireless portion to an existing wired network. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Message Edited by Colin137 on 02-21-2009 07:06 PM

TheMeal

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »
   Colin, clearly you're right and it's a statistical anomoly with no explanation the number of folks who have posted in this thread after they took to the internet to figure out why their network bridge didn't work the way the expected when they purchased it.  I'm at a complete loss as to why these folks would have the audacity to show up in this thread and act upset!

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 02:32:20 PM »
   I think the switch at the bottom of the router can change it from wireless router to access point mode.  Use one G300N in the wireless router mode and use another one G300N in the access point mode (slide the switch to the other side) with the IP address settings the same as the first router.  See the owner's manual for the access point mode settings.

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »
   Use the switch at the bottom of the router to configure the AP or WDS mode.  Use the AUTO mode, the router can detect another router in the network and switch it to DHCP access point mode similar to WDS.

Willott

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 02:48:07 AM »

TheMeal wrote:
Colin, clearly you're right and it's a statistical anomoly with no explanation the number of folks who have posted in this thread after they took to the internet to figure out why their network bridge didn't work the way the expected when they purchased it.  I'm at a complete loss as to why these folks would have the audacity to show up in this thread and act upset!
I wonder if you have actually seen the box and the way the product title is written?! The product title is given as Broadband Router, Access Point and Bridge, with "Wireless N-Finiti" written above the whole of that... if that is not misleading, I don't know what is!
 I'm at a complete loss as to why you have the audacity to show up in this thread and make comments such as that when it obviously does not concern you. If you have useful knowledge to pass on regarding the router, I would be happy to hear it, otherwise, why post?!

TheMeal

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 07:08:35 AM »
   The answer, my friend, can be found in the top-most post on this page.