Author Topic: cannot bridge two WHR-G300N  (Read 20484 times)

neuromax

• Calf
cannot bridge two WHR-G300N
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »

Hello,

I got two WHR-G300N these days, 1.6 firmware, and I wanted to use those APs for my house, extending the coverage of my previous wireless gear. I dont understand why but when I put the same settings in both APs they look like they are trying to create two distinct wireless networks and not communicate between them. How can I set them up for extending the same wireless network?

Thanks

marvin

• Calf
Re: cannot bridge two WHR-G300N
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »
   This model does not support WDS, the only way to connet them is via ethernet.

neuromax

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »

Thanks, but can I use one of the routers just as a client? If it can act as an access point it should be able to connect to another wireless device. Or not?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 10:40:36 AM »
It will not work that way wireless, unless you can use WDS.  If not it will only act as a client bridge via Ethernet.

Willott

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »

I also bought this router, hoping to do a similar job and have been unable to get it working. The box says it's a "Wireless Router, Access Point and Bridge", but I'm still wondering where the Bridge function is! If WDS isn't supported, how can this be a bridge? Will Buffalo be releasing Firmware which enables this functionality, or will they provide RMA for all 3 of the units I bought as they are not fit for the purpose for which the box advertises them? If anyone has any suggestions/answers I'd be pleased to hear them!

Regards

Will

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »
Bridge mode, the problem is with the draft N and WDS, I will pass this up to our corporate office to see if they can upgrade the firmware on this unit.  As for now the router will work as a wired bridge or a wireless access point.

Willott

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »

Paul wrote:
Bridge mode, the problem is with the draft N and WDS, I will pass this up to our corporate office to see if they can upgrade the firmware on this unit.  As for now the router will work as a wired bridge or a wireless access point.

So it'll work as a router, a layer 2 switch or an access point then... If you could get a response from corporate HQ I'd be grateful. I'll also put a support request in to see if that will get a response. Thanks for your help so far.

Will

neuromax

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 03:57:12 PM »

Hi, sorry I have really been busy these days.

I agree with Willot. I bought these items because I read "bridge" on the box and even if they are not so expensive, it's really not so useful to me without the wireless bridge function and by the way, how could a wired bridge be useful? I should use a network cable of 30 meters? :) Or buy a wireless bridge to link the wired bridges. ;)

Thanks for your help

emesco

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 06:15:32 AM »

Similarly, I agree with Willot & Euromax.

I bought two WHR-G300N because my supplier said they now no longer stocked the WHR-HP-G54 which I have used several times previously for AccessPoint and 'boosting' using another as a Wireless Bridge.

I do not believe my supplier even realised that this unit does not support WDS!

Unfortunately I will need to look for an alternative unit / other manufacturer?  (to use with NTL / Virgin Media)

Does anyone know alternatives that are available please

Many thanks

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »
I would try to contact your local support, because this model was never released in the US I can not run any tests on them.

neuromax

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »
   It does not appear even in the italian support site. No downloads nor informations. All I can do is try telephone support and hope someone is aware of this product existence. I'll let you know as soon as I have some informations.

FallenC

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »

just exactly how soon should we expect the WDS feature becomes available?  i bought one of these model today and i tried to figure out how to bridge it with my other buffalo wireless router (obviously failed no matter how hard i tried) for hours before i decided to search the web for help... and now i know why it didn't work...

as the other users pointed out it doesn't make much sense to have a wired access point and we all bought this very model for its bridging ability (which to most people would mean connecting between wireless routers, not wired routers) and for whatever reason it is now absent from its functionality.

it would be nice if buffalo could give us an answer or at least a tentative schedule on when should or if such upgrade would at all be available in the near future.

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 10:57:49 AM »
The WHR-G300N uses an Ralink chipset for its wireless adapter.  Typcially only the Broadcom based hardware can support WDS, so it is possible that WDS firmware for this model router may never be released.  We will continue to work with the engineers to find out if it is possible.  Keep watching the downloads portion of our site for any firmware releases!

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 12:43:34 PM »
   Since it uses a Ralink chip that doesn't support WDS, why was it advertised as a Bridge too?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
It will perform as a wired bridge