Author Topic: Help - Unreliable WDS Bridge w/WHR-G125 and WHR-G54S  (Read 9236 times)

mlacek

• Calf
Help - Unreliable WDS Bridge w/WHR-G125 and WHR-G54S
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:08:26 PM »
   I have a WHR-G54S as my main router with a WHR-G125 connecting to it via a WDS bridge.  The connectivity works fine for a day or two, until it stops completely for no known reason.  I have to go change the channel used on each side for it to reconnect.  What could be causing that problem?  And are there some tips you can offer to make this WDS bridge as reliable as possible?  Thanks! -Matt

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Help - Unreliable WDS Bridge w/WHR-G125 and WHR-G54S
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »

first make sure the firmware is up to date on both units.  Also make sure you have framebursting disabled. 

let me know if this helps

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:14:02 AM »
   When creating a network bridge, you need to take 4 items into consideration; Open up your webbrowser and put in the IP addresse of the AirStation and go for advanced. These settings need to be happen under Wireless Config / 802.11g / Basic and Repeater and on LAN Config 1 – Exchange the wireless MAC addresses of the units. In other words, if your devices are A and B, A must have the wireless MAC address of B and B must have the wireless MAC address of A. That way, they become WDS partners, you can take them direct from the WDS settings page2 – The SSID must be set to the same in both A and B. 3 – The wireless channel must be set to the same one on A and B. Use channels 1, 6 or 11 maunaly

4 – The IP address must be unique but both A and B must be on the same range. (i.e. 192.168.11.1 for No.1, 192.168.11.2 for No.2)

Ill post a more detailed setup later with pics if you want.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:42:32 AM »

Limitations

• WDS works with Buffalo routers, and access points.  Here is a list
    Note: Apple Airport has been shown to work with Buffalo WDS, but is NOT supported

• WEP 64/128 bit encryption is the only supported encryption.
  • Each AirStation may be part of 6 different bridges. Rememberthat each layer of bridges takes about half your total network speed,so avoid configuring daisy-chains more than 4 bridges long. Astar-pattern is always better, with a central router serving multiplebridges.

Pre-Work

Reset All WDS Device

With most WDS calls, the caller has been trying to get it to workbefore calling us. Which means they have changed a setting, and whoknows what else. Reset the Devices to factory default so we arestarting with a fresh slate.

Wireless Mac Address

• The Wireless Lan Mac Address is required, of all WDS members.  

It is best to get this before trying to setup WDS.  The Wireless Mac Address is in System Information of the Routers, and on the bottom of the Routers.  Have the caller either write them down or copy and paste it into notepad.

Process

Physical Setup

• Have the routers, and/or Access Points next to one another, and physically plugged into each other via the LAN connection.
  • Most of the time the caller will have one device acting as therouter, and the other as an AP. So, if the device he wants to use as anAP, is a router put it into Bridge Mode.
  • Verify that you can login into all devices before starting
Router IP:192.168.11.1
AP IP:192.168.11.100

Device Config

• Setup the router normally, but do not enable encryption yet.  Wait till WDS is working.
  • SSID does not matter but we recommend they be the same, but it will work just as well if they are different.
I Goto Wireless Config->BasicII Turn OFF Auto Channel, for Wireless Channel.  Set it to an actual channel, I suggest 11, or 6. III Change Framebursting from 125 High Speed Mode to Framebursting or Do not use. (Framebursting is recommended if all your client devices support it)IV Click Apply.  
Enlarge
I Goto Wireless Config->Basic
II Turn OFF Auto Channel, for Wireless Channel.  Set it to an actual channel, I suggest 11, or 6.
III Change Framebursting from 125 High Speed Mode to Framebursting or Do not use.
(Framebursting is recommended if all your client devices support it)

IV Click Apply.
I Goto WirelessII Turn OFF Auto Channel, for Wireless Channel.  Set it to an actual channel, I suggest 11, or 6. III Change Framebursting from 125 High Speed Mode to Framebursting or Do not use. (Framebursting is recommended if all your client devices support it)IV Click Apply.  
Enlarge
I Goto Wireless
II Turn OFF Auto Channel, for Wireless Channel.  Set it to an actual channel, I suggest 11, or 6.
III Change Framebursting from 125 High Speed Mode to Framebursting or Do not use.
(Framebursting is recommended if all your client devices support it)

IV Click Apply.
IGoto Wireless Config->RepeaterIISet Repeater-Bridge (WDS) must be set to Enable.III Click ApplyIV Click Edit Registered WDS Partners  
Enlarge
IGoto Wireless Config->Repeater
IISet Repeater-Bridge (WDS) must be set to Enable.
III Click Apply
IV Click Edit Registered WDS Partners
Enable WDS, and Click Apply  
Enlarge
Enable WDS, and Click Apply
I Enter the wireless MAC address of the other AirStation, the one that you want to form a bridge with.II Click New PartnerThe AirStation will reboot, and when the screen refreshes, the second AirStation’s MAC address will be listed under Bridgeable Access Points.  
Enlarge
I Enter the wireless MAC address of the other AirStation, the one that you want to form a bridge with.
II Click New Partner

TheAirStation will reboot, and when the screen refreshes, the secondAirStation’s MAC address will be listed under Bridgeable Access Points.
Enter the wireless MAC address of the other AirStation, the one that you want to form a bridge with.  
Enlarge
Enter the wireless MAC address of the other AirStation, the one that you want to form a bridge with.

Click Apply  
Enlarge
Click Apply
Once you are done, disconnect the Ethernet cable, power cycle the devices, and
Verify that WDS is working, usually by going to the web interface of both devices.
Now you can enable Encryption. Enable the Encryption on the accesspoint first, then the router. If you do the router first you will notbe able to communicate with the Access Point, and it will be orphaned.

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:12:29 PM »

Just make sure the same wireless channel that you are using on both of the units does not conflict with other surrounding channels.(like the channels your neighbours are using).

My neighbours were using wireless channel 1,3,5 & 9 and apparently i set my wireless channel to be channel 9. As a result, there were intermittent connection. After much experimenting, i found out that when I changed to channel 7 or 8, my WDS is working perfectly.

So you might want to put this into consideration.

Just my 2 cents worth! 

haveronjones

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »

Paul,

Your post mentions that "WDS works with Buffalo routers, and access points. Here is a list"

However, I see no list.  Any chance of posting it, since the Buffalo tech support in the UK told me that none of the Buffalo ADSL Modem Routers supports it?  I'm just keen to validate this advice as such a product would be exactly what I need!

Thanks

Tim

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »

Haveron,

Your local support was correct, none of our ADSL modem support WDS.  Also none of our 'N' routers do.

haveronjones

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 04:45:51 AM »

Thanks for that!

So, does Buffalo then recommend that I use a simple ADSL modem, and hook that up to a WHR-G125 to serve as my principle wireless router - with a separate WHR-G125 (running in 'bridge' mode and connected to the 'master' router by WDS) in each room where I want to create an Ethernet connection?

In other words, if one needs to use WDS, is it somehow better to have a separate modem and router than to have a combined modem / router?

I am a little confused!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 02:47:31 PM »

Well, yes actually, it is better to have a seperate modem and router for WDS because both of the routers must have the broadcom chipset to support WDS.

"So, does Buffalo then recommend that I use a simple ADSL modem, andhook that up to a WHR-G125 to serve as my principle wireless router -with a separate WHR-G125 (running in 'bridge' mode and connected to the'master' router by WDS) in each room where I want to create an Ethernetconnection?" 

In terms of needing one in each room, that would depend on the strength of the wireless signal.  Besides that, this is exactly what I would recommend.

haveronjones

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that - very helpful indeed.

By the way, the reason for the "one in each room" bit is explained by the end of that sentence which reads ".....where I want to create an Ethernet connection".  In other words, if I want to have one or more Ethernet port available in each of three rooms (excluding the one with the modem in it!) and I do NOT need Ethernet in two other rooms, I would need a total of four WHR-125s

I think I get this now......  :-)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 03:18:47 PM »
Ah, missed that part.  Sorry about that ;).  Let me know if you have anymore questions.