Author Topic: Problems in LinkStation backup  (Read 4483 times)

2learn

• Calf
Problems in LinkStation backup
« on: February 12, 2009, 01:18:39 PM »

I have two problems when I tried to backup the LinkStation HD-H250LAN to another Buffalo USB HD.

The first problem I had was the backup process never stops even after overnight. The lights on the drives suggest it was finished, though. I had to power down the LinkStation to stop the process. By using the LinkStation Client Utility, I could see a lot of files on the USB HD.

The second problem was I could not read the content in the USB HD: I always got an error message saying the drive 'is not accessable' and 'the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable'. I am using EXT2IFS, and I was able to get the drive letter assigned, etc. I thought it mmight due to the bad backup process, so I mounted the HD right after it was formatted by the LinkStation (without going through the backup), and I got the same message.

Let me know if you know what I should do to fix these problems.Lfont-size:149%;} {left:0px !important; width:6.0in !important; height:4.5in !important; font-size:103% !important;} --

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Problems in LinkStation backup
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »

Is there a reason for using EXT2 instead of EXT3 or XFS?

For the backup issues: 

1) Clear all Backup Jobs

2) Initialize the unit through the web interface (Under the "Maintenance" section)

3) Setup the backup jobs again.

2learn

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:06:02 PM »

Kevin,

Buffalo tech recommended me to use either EXT2IFS or USF Exploror. I am not sure why.

I tried what you suggested. Got the same results: the back process never stop, even when I tried a folder with only one small file in it.

Thanks

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »

oh okay, sorry, I was reading too fast...

So this drive is formatted XFS (through the web GUI), correct?

2learn

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 06:53:47 PM »
   The drive was formatted by the Linkstation web managment software prior to the backup step. I am not sure about the format, I don't know these things well. :-) All I know is the format is not NTSF, so my windows can not read it directly.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »

Alright, seems like XFS, So you would need to get USF Explorer (I do not think there are any free versions)... Though you can plug the drive into a Linux machine and then access the data. If you do not have a Linux machine, then you can download a distro that offers a "Live CD" (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, RedHat, ect.) and burn the .iso to CD and boot your comp off of it, you will then have access to your USB drive as well as your local drive.

I do not believe the EXT2IFS utility works with XFS.