Author Topic: Linkstation shuts down after 15 minutes  (Read 17094 times)

urbanpete

• Calf
Linkstation shuts down after 15 minutes
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »

I have a Linkstation LS-Q2.OTL/R5 set up RAID 5. It keeps shutting down after about 15 minutes. The power mode switch is set to manual. The sleep timer is disabled. It is running through a check of the drives when it starts, probably because it shut down unexpectedly. I can tell because if the blinking leds, and I can see the message in the web interface. I can find no logs or any other info to determine why it might be shutting down. I have moved it to different locations and checked the fan, which seems to be working, and is well ventilated.

What might be causing this? Is there any way to fix it? Is it the power supply?

Thanks for any help!

urbanpete

• Calf
Re: Linkstation shuts down after 15 minutes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »

Firmware is V 1.11. I didn't see any firmware more recent to try.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »
Disk management - RAID setup - disable "Auto shutdown for RAID errors" (or something to that effect :-b)
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

urbanpete

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »
Genuis!!!!

I looked at those settings so many times and did not see that setting!

Thanks! :D

urbanpete

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
Ok, that sounded like a most excellent idea, but when I disable it, it still shuts down. I can't find any other shutdown or timer related settings that might make it shut down. Any other ideas?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:50:56 AM »
have you reset the linkstation via the web admin page?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »
If you've tried a different AC wall plug, see if you can make it happen by jiggling the power connector ever so slightly while running, or the connection from the power brick to the wall. The LinkStation doesn't have any software that is going to force a non-graceful shutdown by design (and the disk check makes it look like a non-graceful shutdown). Did you witness the shutdown? How do you make it come back on?

Do you have a backup? Davo's old sig used to evangelize about the need for one. If you can have it work for 15 minutes, go get your irreplaceable files off right now.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

urbanpete

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »
I tried a reset and that didn't change anything. I have checked the cord and plugin and tried different places to plug in, no problems there.

The time it stays on is kind of random, but when it shuts down, the power just goes off.

I am copying my data to another drive, hopefully I can get it all before it fails completely.

I would guess the power supply is failing? Is it possible to get another one?

If not, can I buy an enclosure without the drives?

Would I be able to move the disks to a new enclosure and keep the data intact?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:46:26 AM by urbanpete »

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 04:35:30 AM »
Have you checked the fan? It could be a possible over heating problem.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »
Good call.

Those fans are 90x90x25mm standard fans, replacing them is a snap.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

urbanpete

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 12:57:04 AM »
The fan seems to be fine, it is on and stays on until the thing turns off. The unit doesn't feel too warm at all. The external power supply on the cord feels pretty warm, but not hot. I'm wondering if that is the problem, maybe it's worth replacing it to see if it helps.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »
It may be, I believe those are large-ish 19.2v AC adapters, and finding the exactly right one may be tough, and I wouldn't count on it to be cheap. We don't sell those separately at this time, though that may change.

If it is in a RAID array, try removing any drives you can to still boot to the degraded array. If the power supply does fail to provide enough power, try reducing the amount of power it draws.

MajorHavoc

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
So I too am having this problem as well, although mine is a lot longer than 15 minutes. (I have a LS-QL4E2 with firmware 1.11)

It is on when I go to sleep, and then I get a backup warning the next morning and go to find the unit powered down.

All the auto settings for sleep, raid error shutdown, operating times, etc are disabled.

The unit can run all day (say I turn it on at 8 AM, it is still on at 10 PM) but when I go back in the morning, it is off.

My guess is something is issuing a power down command, but have no idea what. The Power Supply is not hot, the unit itself is not hot, the fan runs when needed, but is seldom actually on. I do not think this is thermal or power related as the unit stays on all day.

So, I USED to have this set to turn off at 2 AM and restart at 8 AM. I have disabled those settings in the web interface, but, is it possible that even though I have turned off operating hours settings from the web interface, and they show off now, that they are still somehow installed into the unit itself and the OFF command is still being executed? (Obviously the on command is not.)  Is there some other way to access or view the internal settings?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:21:33 PM by MajorHavoc »

g0d

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 10:00:01 PM »

One of the possible reasons to happen the LinkStation automatically shuts down, the "Auto Power Mode"

Check the settings of Auto Power Mode

The power switch or the Auto Power Mode is set to "AUTO" mode, the product will be turned off with all the PC installed NAS Navigator2 is not activated on the network.

Set the Auto Power Mode switch to "MANUAL"

was on the back of my Linkstation - works perfectly again.

kaushikks

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 08:11:29 PM »
Disk management - RAID setup - disable "Auto shutdown for RAID errors"  - DIDNOT work for me
Set the Auto Power Mode switch to "MANUAL" - DID work for me

Thank you all for the tip, it saved a lot of frustration. The Linkstation would come alive but faithfully shutdown in about 10 minutes, I had about 100gb of data to copy, by the time the linkstation comes alive and appears on windows as a network device and once I start the copy Windows would compute how many files to copy and storage available before the copy process starts and once it finally starts I would only have only about 5 minutes left before linkstation shuts down again. It was quote frustrating trying to copy 100gb of data spread in folders of about 20gb each , and at a time I would only attempt to copy one 20GB folder.
When I logged into the admin website I saw Linkstation notifying some errors on RAID 1 and this probably was the cause for the auto shutdown