Author Topic: Invalid Serial Number  (Read 5301 times)

jkrall

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Invalid Serial Number
« on: June 13, 2013, 12:23:50 pm »

LS-X2.OTL

 

Purchased in the US from Dell

FCC label

 

Nothing after the model number

 

Serial number is always invalid when trying to download.

 

Please don't tell me to download from another region unless you can show me that I am in the wrong one in the first place.


ratty2013

  • Buffalo
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:50:51 pm »

Do you have a dell service tag? If you do then you will need to contact dell.


jkrall

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 03:47:19 pm »

Seriously?

 

Dell sells parts and pieces just like anyone else... so if I buy it at Walmart will it have a Walmart tag?

 

It's a Buffalo part with a Buffalo SN etc.... and requires Buffalo downloads.

 

 


ratty2013

  • Buffalo
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 03:58:47 pm »

jkrall wrote:

Seriously?

 

Dell sells parts and pieces just like anyone else... so if I buy it at Walmart will it have a Walmart tag?

 

It's a Buffalo part with a Buffalo SN etc.... and requires Buffalo downloads.

 

 


Eventhough dell have sold it to you, they put serial numbers on the products themselves and call them service tags.

 

Just to answer you question about Walmart, if you had purchased an item from Walmart and it turns out to be faulty who do you contact when it goes wrong, yes the answer is Walmart.

 

If you have tried using the SN on the Buffalo site and it has not worked then your issue is with Dell as they sold you the product (Which they should have done with a valid SN).


davo

  • Really Big Bull
  • VIP
  • *
  • Posts: 5947
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 04:24:33 pm »
What downloads are you looking for? If the download is not accepting a US serial number on the US website then phone buffalo support and they will add it.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.

jkrall

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 04:37:34 pm »

Ratty...

 

No offense but it is not a DELL service number.   And no I would not contact Walmart for an issue like this if I had bought the product at Walmart.  Since I have been doing IT stuff since the early 80's I DO think I know that I am in the right area.

 

Davo,

 

Contacted support - just thought someone in the forum would know what was going on since it seams to be an issue spanning years.  thanks


ratty2013

  • Buffalo
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 04:41:26 pm »

jkrall wrote:

Ratty...

 

No offense but it is not a DELL service number.   And no I would not contact Walmart for an issue like this if I had bought the product at Walmart.  Since I have been doing IT stuff since the early 80's I DO think I know that I am in the right area.

 

Davo,

 

Contacted support - just thought someone in the forum would know what was going on since it seams to be an issue spanning years.  thanks


I use to work for Dell and we had customers ring us all the time with SN problems because the wrong SN had been put on the product and we just sent them a valid SN.


jkrall

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 04:45:54 pm »

Ratty....

 

It isn't a Dell service number.


ratty2013

  • Buffalo
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 04:49:16 pm »

jkrall wrote:

Ratty....

 

It isn't a Dell service number.


I was not talking about the Dell service number, I was talking about the SN that is on the product, customers use to ring us complaining that the S/N was wrong on the Buffalo products and we just sent them a valid SN to replace the one they had.


jkrall

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »

Ratty,

 

It is not a Dell branded item or Dell touched item - it has the OEM sticker and FCC label with a BUFFALO 14 digit SN on the same label from the factory.

 

I have never had a problem in the last 15 plus years with Dell serial numbers on either their own product or any of the hundreds of things I have bought thru Dell - personally

I won't even get into professionally.

 

The only issue I ever had was in doing a couple of transfers - and they were resolved rather quickly via my premier account.

 

Can we drop the serial number/Dell side of this please.

 

 


ratty2013

  • Buffalo
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:05:44 pm »

jkrall wrote:

Ratty,

 

It is not a Dell branded item or Dell touched item - it has the OEM sticker and FCC label with a BUFFALO 14 digit SN on the same label from the factory.

 

I have never had a problem in the last 15 plus years with Dell serial numbers on either their own product or any of the hundreds of things I have bought thru Dell - personally

I won't even get into professionally.

 

The only issue I ever had was in doing a couple of transfers - and they were resolved rather quickly via my premier account.

 

Can we drop the serial number/Dell side of this please.

 

 


I will point out that at no time have I said that they are Dell branded. You say you've had no problems with either dell products or other brands from Dell, well you've just had your first time then. I hope it will be the last as I'm contacting Dell my self about this matter to see if they can validate the SN before they are shipped. Before you ask, yes they do open the boxes and inspect items before shipping.


jkrall

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »

Ratty,

 

Can I ask at what support level did you work at Dell?

 

I never said that you said that they were branded... just pointing that they are not.  I am aware that some items are inspected prior to shipment.

 

You do whatever you feel necessary.  But as I said - this is a Buffalo label with a Buffalo SN.

 

I posted looking for a solution.  It appears that this issue has been going on for some time now.  At least that is my assumption based on searching the forum.

 

There should be a better answer than send customer support your serial number to get it added.


ratty2013

  • Buffalo
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 05:34:43 pm »

jkrall wrote:

Ratty,

 

Can I ask at what support level did you work at Dell?

 

I never said that you said that they were branded... just pointing that they are not.  I am aware that some items are inspected prior to shipment.

 

You do whatever you feel necessary.  But as I said - this is a Buffalo label with a Buffalo SN.

 

I posted looking for a solution.  It appears that this issue has been going on for some time now.  At least that is my assumption based on searching the forum.

 

There should be a better answer than send customer support your serial number to get it added.


I started at level 2, but moved into care and support management,

 

When you purchase a product from a retailer (In your case Dell) you enter into a contract with that retailer and part of that contract is that the retailer must ensure that the S/N are valid. It does not matter if the product is branded or not, it still applies.


jkrall

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 05:49:12 pm »

Ratty,

 

You may think this is a Dell problem.  It is still a Buffalo SN whether Dell validated it or not.  And it doesn't work.  And it doesn't work with others other than mine as well.  If Dell had validated it as you say they should have then perhaps it would have been Dell here looking for why the SN doesn't work.  Unless you are saying that what I have is a fake Buffalo LS.

 

It still boils down to it doesn't work and the only apparent solution is to contact Buffalo and have them add the serial number to their database.

 

I very seldom worked with level 1 or 2 at Dell. 


ratty2013

  • Buffalo
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
Re: Invalid Serial Number
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 05:54:37 pm »

jkrall wrote:

Ratty,

 

You may think this is a Dell problem.  It is still a Buffalo SN whether Dell validated it or not.  And it doesn't work.  And it doesn't work with others other than mine as well.  If Dell had validated it as you say they should have then perhaps it would have been Dell here looking for why the SN doesn't work.  Unless you are saying that what I have is a fake Buffalo LS.

 

It still boils down to it doesn't work and the only apparent solution is to contact Buffalo and have them add the serial number to their database.

 

I very seldom worked with level 1 or 2 at Dell. 


If Dell had done what they should have done and validated the SN, then it would be Dell contacting Buffalo to add the SN so that when the product is shipped the customer has a valid SN and therefore the customer then does not need to contact Buffalo. No I don't think you have a fake.