Author Topic: HS-DH500GL problem accessing shared folders with access restrictions  (Read 9149 times)

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: HS-DH500GL problem accessing shared folders with access restrictions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »

What OS and from how many PCs? Do you have access restrictions enabled?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

joep229

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »

OS is windows8 pro; 2 PCs; access restrictions are enabled. If I disable acces restrictions, the problem goes away, 

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »

joep229 wrote:

OS is windows8 pro; 2 PCs; access restrictions are enabled. If I disable acces restrictions, the problem goes away, 

Have you made sure that your windows username and password is the same as the one used by your HS-DH500GL?

joep229

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »

No, but I will do that now.

joep229

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:42:01 PM »

No, but I will do that now. My linkstation still has default user name/password. admin and password. I think I can change the password for admin, but I don't see how to change the user name. 

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:59:17 AM »

joep229 wrote:

No, but I will do that now. My linkstation still has default user name/password. admin and password. I think I can change the password for admin, but I don't see how to change the user name. 

You should not use the admin for file access. Instead you need to create an additional username and password.

joep229

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »

OK, changed login names and passwords of computer, linkstation and user with access to share the folder to match each other. Still cannot log into the shared folder. 

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »

joep229 wrote:

OK, changed login names and passwords of computer, linkstation and user with access to share the folder to match each other. Still cannot log into the shared folder. 

Have you set the permissions on the linkstation for the shared folder so that username can access read/write?

joep229

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

yes

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »

joep229 wrote:

yes

Ok, have got the following ticked on the shared folder?

Shared Folder Attributes: Read & Write

Shared Folder Support: Windows

joep229

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »

I tried the following test. Since I cannot change the user name of the linkstation, I  have left it as admin and set the password to "test". I then went into Windows and set the windows login to admin; test. I went into the linkstation and to shared folders; enabled access restrictions on the folder and gave user, admin (with password 'test') read/write access. I also gave admin group read/write access. So, all user names and passwords match. There should be no conflict when windows tries to go to that folder. Why is this happening?

joep229

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 04:55:22 PM »

I checked the windows properties of the shared folder, Since the folder is in the linkstation, windows has no control over it.

joep229

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »

Don't know where to find ...Shared Folder Support: Windows...

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »

joep229 wrote:

I tried the following test. Since I cannot change the user name of the linkstation, I  have left it as admin and set the password to "test". I then went into Windows and set the windows login to admin; test. I went into the linkstation and to shared folders; enabled access restrictions on the folder and gave user, admin (with password 'test') read/write access. I also gave admin group read/write access. So, all user names and passwords match. There should be no conflict when windows tries to go to that folder. Why is this happening?

You need to add a username on the linkstation, you can't change the admin username. Have you got the user manual for your linkstation? The user manual will tell you how to add a username.

User Manual: http://www.buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/download/LinkStation_Live_Manual_web2.pdf

Page 37.