Author Topic: Network access just dies to Terrastation after 10 minutes  (Read 2008 times)

cairnsd

• Calf
Network access just dies to Terrastation after 10 minutes
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »

Hi,

I have a very faithful Terrastation ( HS-D1.0TGL/R5 on latest Firwmware V2.03 with 4 disks in RAID 1  i.e. two RAID 1 arrays ) that has suddenly started to fail to accept packets.   No changes have been made to the config in over a year,

If I re-boot it I get 10 minutes of Network access where I can access all the data and then I can't ping it any longer.  It's not the Network itself as I have changed the Switch/Cable and also direct attached it to a PC.   The Link/ACT light still flickers blue as if it sees/sends packets but the PING to it fails.  The latest NAS navigtaor also fails to see it when the Networking dies ( as you would expect ).

The LED's are interesting......they act normally for 10 minutes bugt when the networking dies they exhibit the following :

Hard Drive Status (3, 5, 8, and 10) – blink green as if a disk check is in progress

Hard Drive Access (6 and 9) – are static green  ( 4 & 7 are off despite their being 4 disks and two RAID 1 arrays built )

If I re-boot I get normal LED activity and network / NAS Navigator access data access until it goes into this network death mode.

I re-installed Firmware v2.03 but that did not help.

I am also wonderingif I can take out one of the disks in the RAID 1 array and attach it to my SATA dock and recover the share via UFS Explorer to access the XFS data ?

All advice greatfully accepted!

Regards

David

Edinburgh

Scotland

cairnsd

• Calf
Re: Network access just dies to Terrastaion after 10 minutes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:55:08 AM »

I have diagnosed the fault further.  

Original Fault:  After initial boot the Terastation is only accessible for ~10 minutes and then it hangs

Even with the Network Cable removed the buffalo goes into a state where it is not useable after about 10 minutes and the Disk check LEDs are enabled.

Hard Drive Status LEDs (3, 5, 8, and 10) – blink green as if a disk check is in progress

Hard Drive Access LEDs (6 and 9) – are static green  ( 4 & 7 are off despite their being 4 disks and two RAID 1 arrays built )

The fault is that the two RAID arrays are are trying to go into Disk Check mode ( I can see this from within the admin screen ) but never completes past about 40%.   After about 40% the unit hangs until next re-booted.

I ran the Initialize but that did not help.

Any ideas ?

cairnsd

• Calf
Re: Network access just dies to Terrastaion after 10 minutes
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »

OK.....saw in the forums other users with completely different Buffalo models having this problem ( where the NAS disk checking routine rebuild fails and hangs device ).

Got bored.....so I ripped out the IDE drives in the RAID 1 array and managed to mount the XFS file systeme via a USB Caddy and a copy of UFS Explorer...so data recovery is happening.

From the other threads it seems that then formatting the drives/RAID sets afresh may kick it back into life.....not so sure this is a great advert for Buffalo's Linux OS.....if a "Disk Check" causes a Buffalo device to hang without any red LED's / errors then there's a flaw in their OS.

Fun forum....like being on a desert island with a NAS for company...I may have resorted to painting a face on it and calling it wilson ( oblique Castaway reference ) had google not offered better advice.

:-(