Author Topic: Off sub-net linkstation  (Read 5427 times)

boatlog

• Calf
Off sub-net linkstation
« on: October 07, 2008, 03:58:44 PM »

I want to backup to a NAS linkstation that is off my local sub-net. I am setting up the backup job using the web interface to the NAS. Using the 'Add LinkStation' under 'Disk Backup' seems to work just fine and I see my remote IP on the list of . However, when I go to 'Disk Backup' and attempt to add a backup job, the remote linkstation does not show up on the 'link station list' or the list of desintations when creating a backup job. How then, do I back up to a remote linkstation?

Message Edited by boatlog on 10-07-2008 04:08 PM

ScottP

• Tatanka
Re: Off sub-net linkstation
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:23:03 AM »
Make sure the remote LinkStation has at least one shared folder setup to use as a backup destination.  If you go to Share Folders, then click on the share you want to edit the properties for, there will be a field called "Shared Folder OS Support" with checkboxes for Windows, Mac, FTP, and Disk Backup.  Make sure the Disk Backup option is checked.

boatlog

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:58:24 PM »
   I do have a shared folder set up as a backup destination. The disk backup option is checked on the remote off sub-net linkstation. Any other suggestions?

boatlog

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:51:23 AM »

The issue here is going through firewalls. Apparently if both source and destination are not public IP addresses, remote back up is not possible. This means I would have to work with ISPs on both ends to get additional static IPs.

More detail is on this thread

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=39

Message Edited by boatlog on 10-09-2008 08:51 AM

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »

Firewalls would be my next guess, if it was traversing WAN links to get from subnet A to subnet B.  A VPN between the two subnets would be ideal, but if that is not possible then yes, you may need to get special IP assignments for the NAS boxes in order for them to communicate over the WAN.

Also, if they are far apart geographically, network latency or too many hops from point A to point B can cause the backups to not work as well.

boatlog

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 01:05:34 PM »

Any pointers on how to do VPN between two NAS boxes?

FYI: My boxes are only 10 miles apart geographically and get to fiber very fast, so I expect low latency.