Author Topic: [Resolved!!!!] LS-QVL external 4T USB HDD: Can't format in on LS-QVL  (Read 12273 times)

seanyang2006

• Calf

Any one can help ? I can't format my USB HDD on NAS LS-QVL when I connected the 4T USB HDD to it. It always tell me "Can't operate on disk. please reset machine and submit again" then WebUI will log out automatically--- I tried the EXT3,XFS and FAT32 ,with and without GPT partition, all falied. Is there any limitation with LS-QVL for USB HDD? From the Web-Storage it seems NAS has recognized my USB HDD name but no volume caculated .

You will see the method and reason for this issue in post 11 on next page

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: [Help] LS-QVL external 4T USB HDD: Can't format in on LS-QVL
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »

What firmware are you using? Have you reset it via the admin page (system - restore/erase)?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

seanyang2006

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:09:21 PM »
Davo: Thanks for help. The firmware is the latest one 1.64 , I am a newer to Buffalo LS since I just purchased it some days ago. I formatted this USB HDD on WIN7 64bit and converted it to GPT by WIN7 system disk managment tool, then I put it onto LS-QVL. I don't know how to resotre/erase it---I mean, I just want to format this 4TB External USB HDD,but not for the whole LS since there are datas in my others 4 disks in the LS-QVL. So what should I do? and do you think the "restore to factory default" will help or not?

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:43:28 AM »

EXT3 has a limit of 2TB, it's better to use EXT4, or use EXT3 with a higher block size.

seanyang2006

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »

Ratty:

Thanks for reply.

But I did try XFS ,does it hvae volume limitation?  Meanwhile, I also checked GPT --per my understanding ,it will help to break the volume limitation?

May you kinde elaborate your option/solutions?

Thanks.

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:23:15 PM »

seanyang2006 wrote:

Ratty:

Thanks for reply.

But I did try XFS ,does it hvae volume limitation?  Meanwhile, I also checked GPT --per my understanding ,it will help to break the volume limitation?

May you kinde elaborate your option/solutions?

Thanks.

http://www.buffalotech.com/content/files/products/Supported_HDD_List_LS-QVL.pdf

Not sure if that helps. To get 4TB you need to change the block size from 1KB to at least 2KB see link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3

seanyang2006

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »

Ratty:
    It seems you misunderstaning my problem . My problem is 4T USB HDD can't be format on LS-QVL, not that it can be recognized and work with only 2TB volume .

Davo:May you help me out ? Please give more details for your comments some days ago,thanks.

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »

seanyang2006 wrote:

Ratty:
    It seems you misunderstaning my problem . My problem is 4T USB HDD can't be format on LS-QVL, not that it can be recognized and work with only 2TB volume .

Davo:May you help me out ? Please give more details for your comments some days ago,thanks.

It can't be formated on the LS-QVL because it's an 4TB drive, that's why I posted the link about compatible drives to show that there are no 4TB drives that are compatible. You will need to use a 3TB drive instead.

seanyang2006

• Calf

Ratty?

I overlooked the link you posted in previous reply ,thanks for your information.

But I sitll doubted this compatible USB drives listed in the link , because the following facts

1. At the beginning when I got the LS-QVL, only 1 3TB WD disk in the slot 1 of my LS-QVL and it worked well , then i plugged my Seagate 4TB external USB HDD into this LS-QVL;

2. At this moment ,there were 3 NTFS partitions(1T,2T,2T) in this USB HDD with data stored , when I browsed the USB disk on the WebUI I found only one 600G partition can be found;

3. Meanwhile, I stilll can access the other 2 NTFS partitions(2T,2T) by mounting them via SSH ,and I also can read the data in these two partitions--- but problem is these 2 partitions can't be shared!

4. So, I posted in this forum to ask why ,Davo replied to me in another message thread that LS only can recognized the first partition due to the firmware limition---I also confirmed this conclusion on the user manual later;

5. Based on Davo's comment ,I just thought everything should be ok if I format this 4T USB HDD with only one 1 partition ,so I backup all the data in it ,and use WIN7 64 bit OS to delete all the partitions and format it to only one partition;

6. But when I plugged it into LS again , I just found nothing can be found at all this time---even that strange 600G partition! So, I tried to format it by LS-QVL on the WebUI ,but always get failed.

May you or any one can give further comments? Actually it' ok to me with the 600G partition can be recognized only if the other partitions can be shared in my home network? Thanks again!

ratty2013

• Buffalo

As per my previous post: Your 4TB drive is not compatible. The only thing you can do is purchase a 3TB drive and use that instead of the 4TB drive.

seanyang2006

• Calf
Re: [Resolved] LS-QVL external 4T USB HDD: Can't format in on LS-QVL
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 12:08:23 PM »

Ratty:

You are wrong ,and Buffalo user manual should be updated.

My Seagate USB 4T HDD can be fully supported by LS-QVL, see my screenshot below I just made it work ten minutes ago:   

1.   unrecognized 4T USB :

Unrecognized 4T USB

2. Recognized 4T USB after sucessfull format on WebUI

4T USB HDD Recognized

seanyang2006

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »

I just share how to make this 4T USB HDD work:

1. On win7 64 bit OS , use the system disk management tool to convert it to GPT disk ,and format it to only one partition with NTFS;

2. Plug it onto LS-QVL USB port , login to WebUI--->System---> Storage;

3. You will find your 4T USB HDD name as the firt image above ,but only name displayed, all the others including status,Unit Capacity are blank;

4. Click "Check Disk" ,NOT "Format Disk" , to get this disk checked by LS-QVL;

5. You will find the successfull format/check notification and call information displayed correctly on the WebUI for this 4T USB HDD

The reason I got failure is because I just tried to "Format Disk" every time and always got "Format Failure" ......"Check Disk" is the only way.

I am a little disapointed by Buffalo support --actually I got the same response from Buffalo support as friends in this forum---I think they (Buffalo support staff , I mean)didn't spend any effort to reproduce my issue and just told me : " LS-QVL can't support 4T USB HDD physically on hardware ,it's not any software limitation at all" even I asked them to try to give out a solution from software and practice point of view....

You know now, I slapped guys of Buffalo Support!   

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »

That's awesome you got it to work, and yes I agree the documentation should be changed to reflect this. I hope support get to read this thread so that it may help other people in the future.