Author Topic: How to index files on Linkstation Shares From Windows 8  (Read 3258 times)

emgeep

• Calf
How to index files on Linkstation Shares From Windows 8
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »

Greetings,

Hopefully I am in the right forum for this type of submission. :)

After moving from Windows XP to Windows 8 I have had issues using windows file INDEXING to index files on my LS-WVL/R1 NAS.

Unlike previous versions Windows 8 does not allow you to directly specify mapped network storage as a source of indexing.

For indexing to occur the data must be registered in a Windows "library" and to be added to a library the network data must "available offline".

"Available Offline" means that windows copies all the network data back onto the local drives and then performs ongoing synchronization between the copies.

I would like to avoid this duplication of storage and processing.

I have looked in windows forums for tips or tricks to bypass this restriction but nothing useful so far although files in the root directory of a fileshare can be indexed by tricking Windows with an MKLINK command to define a path but sub-directories are simply ignored by indexing.

One suggested solution to my problem has been to attach the NAS as ISCSI as windows would then treat the NAS storage as "local" storage.

However I cannot see any support for ISCSI in the documentation for my NAS.

Is ISCSI available either as a builtin feature or as an add on to normal features for the LS-WVL ?

Has anybody else had similar issues with windows 8 and discovered workable solutions  ?

regards

Mike Porritt