Author Topic: Buffalo Linkstation - Network, upgrade, firmware, emergency mode, issue...  (Read 16938 times)

Kobe

• Calf

Hello

I've had a Buffalo Linkstation for approximately 1.5 years almost running constantly for that time with no issue. Recently it can't be seen on the network and can't be accessed by directly trying through the IP address. I've downloaded the NAS Navigator2 which can find the drive... however it runs in emergency mode and says "Emergeny Mode. Update the firmware or contact techinal support."

Downloaded the firmware update, ran it and it for some reason could not find my Linkstation. Currenty sitting with 2tb paperweight...

Currently running Windows 8 on my laptop if there is any issue with the software compatability. I have tried with no firewall and I have no antivirus software running at this time. I have attempted to contact with it wirelessly and wired via the router and directly into my laptop with an ethernet cable to no avail.

Is this a particuarly widespread issue? I've had a friend who had the same problem and unfortunately it was terminal. Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks

Greg

Kobe

• Calf

The model is LS-CH.0TL and the error message is from LS-CHL-EMD88.

In the words of the Fifth Element... Please help.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
What firmware version did you try and reinstall?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Kobe

• Calf
The version I've attempted to install is the one most up to date one from the buffalo support site - I believe version 1.64.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

1.64 is not for your unit, use this version.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Kobe

• Calf
And it works - thanks for your help!

russbird

• Calf
Re: Buffalo Linkstation - Network, upgrade, firmware, emergency mode, issue...
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
Created an account just to say thanks for this great site, a truly helpful resource!

I had a similar experience, and wanted to post here in case it helps anyone else...

I've had my LS-X2.OTL up and running for over a year, no issues.  It stopped working a couple of months back, NAS Navi showed it was in Emergency Mode, and a firmware update to 1.65 brought it back online.

The problem started last week when I switched from a WNDRMAC router to an Airport Extreme.  The NAS didn't show up at all when connected to the Extreme, not even in the NAS Navi.

I tried moving things around, and finally got the Navi to see the NAS by connecting directly to my PC's network adapter.  I tried running the firmware upgrade again to break out of EM, but kept getting a "Cannot communicate with NAS" error.

I had been trying to avoid it, but it was time to adjust the IP settings!  Using the "Change Adapter Settings" in the control panel showed my PC was in the 168 range, while the NAS was still in 192.  Adjusting the computer to be in the same IP and Subnet range allowed the firmware update to take.

I moved the NAS drive back to the WNDRMAC router and we're back in business!  Thanks again, forums.

TL;DR

Switching routers prevented my LS-X2.OTL from connecting.  Solution was to direct connect to PC, match the IP/Subnet ranges, and reinstall firmware.