Author Topic: Linux Newb - Restore corrupt files??  (Read 3255 times)

Dub

• Calf
Linux Newb - Restore corrupt files??
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »
So here the story. I am a Linux Newb who doesnt know the command lines. I do know basic PC stuff. I have a Linkstation Quad that is setup as Raid 5. By my own admitted ignorance, I was using this as a storage device for client files and artwork ( I am a graphic designer) as well as music, photos, etc with no backup. The unit is about 5 years old and has been flawless. I really love it. However, I was saving a client file last week and the I got an error message which I dismissed without fully reading as my computer comes up with memory low errors after being on for weeks at a time with a gazillion browser windows open. So normal procedure is save projects, reboot and good to go.
Once the PC came back up, it wouldnt connect to the folders on the NAS. The NasNavigator says the drives are unformatted. All the mapped drives show up but cant connect to anything other than the info folder. I called tech support and they were super nice and tried their hardest but ultimately said all is lost.

Not accepting that, I pulled the drives and bought some recovery software and scanned them. It took a while but it looks like all the drives are intact and all the files are there but put into extension related folders and renamed to numbers. I am happy that the files are still intact, however, It converted all my Illustrator files to pdf and now there are tons of pdf files alone to copy and sort and figure out what was an .ai file and what was actually a pdf. This in itself is a labor intensive chore that I just dont have the time for right now. (Going back to college mid-life with a family and running a business, etc, etc)

So I am looking for a possibly easier route. Is there any way to re-write the corrupted files? I read another post on here where someone salvaged a NAS this way but can find the thread again.

If so, how would I start to do it? I dont have the time or energy to learn Linux. Can anyone walk me through it?

I did download and create a Knoppix Live CD and I can boot that. The NAS shows up in File manager but it cant connect to the folders that way either.

Thanks for any and all help!!

Dub.