Author Topic: Disk error and "changing Raid Array" on Linkstation Duo LS-WXL  (Read 11252 times)

rvboutin

• Calf

Hi,

This morning I got several message like this one: 

DISK Error Notification

HDD error occurred
Disk(s) the error occurred:"Disk 2"

(sdb) WRITE sector:3890624769 count:1
Disk writing error
Some data may not be recoverable.
Immediate change of disk is recommended.

[LinkStationInformation]
LinkStationName: LS-WXLA64 (LS-WXL)
Time: 2013/04/12 09:15:34

then one saying this:

DISK Error Notification

HDD error occurred
Disk(s) the error occurred:"Disk 2"

reached alert level.

[LinkStationInformation]
LinkStationName: LS-WXLA64 (LS-WXL)
Time: 2013/04/12 09:16:15

Then further message like the 1st one (I am now on error # 14).

About 6 months ago I had report saying that Disk 1 had failed, I replaced it with a new 2Tb disk and rebuild the RAID, everything worked OK since.

Since I received the messages mentioned above, when I try to login on the Linkstation the Internet interface displays this:

"Changing RAID Array...
Cannot change all of the configurations until changing Raid Array is completed. Also share folder service is not working.
Details
Progress: Progress"

and I have no access to any options at all, not even system.

Shall I wait for the system to complete the "changing Array" operation (and by the way what is that?) to replace the faulty disk?

The NAS is running firmware 1.63 that I upgraded soon after replacing the faulty disk #1.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rv

jaohlma

• Calf
Re: Disk error and "changing Raid Array" on Linkstation Duo LS-WXL
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:06:29 AM »

Rv,

I am experiencing a very similar scenario to what you decribe below: 3 weeks ago Disk 2 started showing errors. I removed it, checked it & reformatted it on a different platform, and reinstalled it on the Buffalo. Things had seemed fine until today when I discovered the red light on for Disk 1, and on logging into the admin page I found the message "Changing RAID Array". What was your outcome? What can I expect next?

Thanks

jaohlma

rvboutin

• Calf
Re: Disk error and "changing Raid Array" on Linkstation Duo LS-WXL
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:48:01 AM »

Dear Jaohima,

After a while I switched off the LinkStation and replaced the faulty disk by a new one, then restart the Linkstation. The RAID array rebuilt itself and everything is running as normal since.

I think that the message "Changing RAID Array... Cannot change all of the configurations until changing Raid Array is completed. Also share folder service is not working." is due to the failed disk and means the RAID array is not and will just not working properly until the faulty disk is changed.

On another note, I did take the faulty disk out, check it with various tool under Windows and Linux, reformat it in NTFS format, recheck it again and again, and it seems to be fine! The fact that the Linkstation is throwing that failure message is a mystery to me. The only thing that SMART is reporting, on only 1 of the 2 disks that the Linkstation reported as failed, is a couple of reallocated sectors which can be an early sign of future disk failure. For the other disk, everything seems normal.

Because that Linkstation is a backup unit I am not risking re-using those disks in it, so I plugged them in an eSATA external enclosure and I use them as external drive to move large file around as this is faster than network file transfer.

Cheers,

Rv