Author Topic: USB Backup: Differential on top of Normal?  (Read 1509 times)

tlightfoot

• Calf
USB Backup: Differential on top of Normal?
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »

I recently took an immediate "Normal Backup" of my LinkStation Quad.  Actually, my 900 MB of data has been backing up for almost 24 hours and may run that much longer to finish.  So in the future I'd like to do a Differential of some sort.  The Buffalo stock documentation is nothing short of confusing on the subject- even for someone that has used multiple tape backup packages... The terminology used by Buffalo is just enough to confuse.  Following is the best explanation I've seen and shoudl be used in the stock documenation.  (Thanks Davo.)

But, my question right now is:  Once my "Normal" backup is complete, can I use one of the below options and do a differential?  If so, which one?  Or are all the below designed to only work within themselves and not on a previous "master" backup taken with one of the other methods?

I'd really like to be able to answer my own question with trial/error, but with 4 days to take a backup, that will take me until the summer...  ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Please-explain-different-types-of-backups-on-Terastation/m-p/34211/thread-id/25600

"Normal Backup" - Saves as "yyyymmddhhmmsourcenamedata".  Makes a new folder for each backup.

"Overwrite Backup (Complete/Append)" - Saves as "_backupssourcenamedata".  Does a complete backup every time, if a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will not be deleted.

"Overwrite Backup (Complete/Differential)" - Saves as "_backupssourcenamedata". Does a complete backup every time, if a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will be deleted.

"Overwrite Backup (Append)" - Saves as "_backupssourcenamedata". Does a complete backup the first time, subsequent backups only send the changes. If a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will not be deleted.

"Overwrite Backup (Differential)" - Saves as "_backupssourcenamedata". Does a complete backup the first time, subsequent backups only send the changes. If a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will be deleted.