Author Topic: Problem with CS-X  (Read 6595 times)

Gerbel

• Calf
Problem with CS-X
« on: April 01, 2013, 03:22:41 AM »

I have four Cloud Station NAS units (2TB), the S/N sticker on the back of the unit says CS-X2.0-AP, in the Web Interface it reports itself as being a CS-XL. The sticker on the back of the unit says KCC-REM-BUF-LS-XL.

Recently in one of these two Cloud Stations, the HDD died. I pulled it from the unit, and it's actually cooked. The controller PCB on the HDD has a burnt out component.

I had a spare 500GB HDD lying around so I tried throwing that in, and realised that it's not as simple as that.

After much searching online I have discovered that the firmware is stored on the HDD itself.

I figured I would just get the unit to boot into (what I soon discovered was) EM mode, by trying to pull the power at an in-opportune time to get into this state.

No matter what I do I cannot get it to go into EM mode.

The blue light flashes FOREVER, and never goes solid.

So I started investigating the TFTP option to get it to boot.

There is no TFTP image for a CS-X   :-(

I tried the LS-XL (because it had that written on the back of the unit on the sticker), and it successfully connects to my computers TFTP service at 192.168.11.1 and loads the BIN files over.

Then the unit seems to shut down, (i can hear the HDD spin down), and sometimes it will reboot, and try again, and repeat over and over, other times it will just stay shut down.

I even tried the CS-WX (just in case thinking that the only difference between the CS-WX and CS-X was wireless function?, maybe it would work?)

No dice, exactly the same problem as the LS-XL.

Either way, I can't get it into EM mode.

Can anyone PLEASE offer me ANY suggestions on how I can replace the faulty HDD in my CS-X unit?

Would it be possible to copy a partition from from my OTHER CS-X unit?

Is such a thing possible?

Are there other options?

Does anyone have some files that would be of assistance to me?

Am I missing something here?

I've done other searching outside these forums using google and have gotten NOWHERE.

Please.... help me Obi Wan Kenobi...... you're my only hope.

Also just to clarify....

I have four CS-X1.0 units all working ok.

I have four CS-X2.0 units, (with one having a stuffed HDD).

-Gerbel

Gerbel

• Calf
Re: Problem with CS-X
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:08:34 AM »

Ok, more information.

I figured out that the two files being passed to through the TFTP are the initrd.buffalo and uimage.buffalo

I could try and use the versions of these files that are in the firmware update for the device.

and use THEM to TFTP.

However the PKZIP files these images are stored in are password protected.

Does anyone know (or can extract) the password that LSUpdater.exe uses to extract the files from the pkzip (img) files?

Im currently trying to brute force the files but I don't know if I'll get anywhere...

s7aDiuM28

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »
same thing when ive tryed to use a blank hd...

http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=18202.0

Gerbel

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:10:56 AM »
I managed to get this to work if anyone else wants some help.

I got the boot files out of the ecrypted firmware update file, forced the unit into EM mode, and was able to then force update the firmware onto a brand new blank drive.

PM me if anyone wants help with it.

Took me a while to get all the peices together to make it work.

If there's enough of a demand for it, I will make a tutorial.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:36:55 AM »
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

s7aDiuM28

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
Hi All, ive replaced the hard drive from my cs20x unit,,, but i cannot do anything...

ill apreciate any help

regards

Sebas

s7aDiuM28

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »
fixed

ftfp
ls2updater

done

regards

eagletech

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »
My Buffalo CS-X2's blue light keeps on flashing non-stop. I think it has a defective hard disk, because there's a beeping sound coming from it. I already replaced its hard disk but the blue light keeps on blinking non-stop. I can't get it to EM mode, therefore I can't TFTP to it. Could someone please help me fix my Buffalo CS-X2? How did you guys do it?  If possible please make a step by step tutorial.

Thanks a lot.