Author Topic: "Network Busy" error messages. Any ideas?  (Read 6518 times)

ohio_grad_06

• Calf
"Network Busy" error messages. Any ideas?
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »

Hey everyone, new guy here.  But wanting to check in here.  Figure this might be a good place to start.  Here at work we've got a Buffalo TeraStation Pro.  Specific model is TS-RHTGL/R5

So the deal is we've had this thing for a few years.  I began working here in late 2010, so they've been here at least that long.  Everything seems to mostly work great.  The way it's set up is that these basically act like file servers for us.  So users get their own folders which are shared to them with permissions locking others out and life is good. 

Anyway I recently installed a new Windows 7 PC with an i5 processor, 4 gb of ram, 500gb or 1TB hard drive, and Office 2010.  She reports that she's getting an error message 3-5 times per day telling her "Network Busy, Try Again later."

After she reported it at least one other user said they get the same message, again Windows 7, pentium dual core, 4 gb of ram, office 2010. 

My assumption is that this was not a problem until Windows 7 because it was never reported when almost everyone ran Windows XP Pro.  That said, they never reported this issue to me until a few users maybe 5-8 had Windows 7, because they thought the Network was actually busy.  Anyone have any ideas?  I could be wrong but don't think it's the network because have about 100 or a little more people that work in the building, each grouped up by division, and almost no issues other than this message. 

That said, we had another one of these where a user had it almost to himself, maybe shared one with 5 people.  And had Windows 7 and would get network lag and issues.  When we'd hook a vista or prior system to his network cable and attempt to replicate issues, performance was great. 

Do I need to update firmware or is there a setting in Windows 7 that I should adjust? 

Current firmware is version 1.33.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: "Network Busy" error messages. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:42:37 PM »

Try in local security policy :

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level to: "Send LM & NTLM responses"

I've seen that help in some Win7 environments.

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

ohio_grad_06

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »

Thanks for the tip I will have to check on that.  I actually have a Windows 8 machine sitting next to my Vista machine and checked, and those settings were actually different.  That is to say that on the Vista box, the setting was as you said it should be.  But the setting on the Windows 8 machine was not defined.  So I'm hopeful if the Windows 7 machine's settings are the same that will correct it.  Because as I said, when we've tested before, we don't seem to have trouble with Windows Vista and back.  Maybe this setting is why.  I'll try to change this setting on her system today and see if that helps.  If so I'll post back. 

ohio_grad_06

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »

I applied your fix on two PC's, so far things seem to work a little better according to one user.  The other user has been having other issues so haven't been able to nail things down totally.  But so far seems to help. 

ohio_grad_06

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »

Ok.  I tried the fix, and heard back from the user who was my biggest complainer.  The issue is still occuring.  Any other ideas?

ohio_grad_06

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »

Ok.  I'm thinking it's the device.  With our Windows XP machines I never had any issues reported.  However, other users with Windows 7 started reporting these issues.  For the one particular user I disabled SMB 2.0 and also tried tweaking settings on the network card.  Still getting the errors.  I don't think it's the network due to the fact this never came up when we were using Windows XP.  Any other ideas???