Author Topic: First back up has taken extememly long time and much bigger than what I'm backing up!  (Read 3146 times)

LindaC

• Calf

I think I must have done something drastically wrong. My computer is VERY full and I was nervous about enabling all the facilities on my ministation in case there wasn't room on my computer so I just enabled the back up bit, not the turbo thing. It has now been doing my first back up and has taken two days so far and not finished! The puzzling thing is, I only had just under 450GB to back up. According to my computer, the 1TB buffalo only has 288 GB left! Surely that is impossible? I must have done something wrong. 

I am using a 2 usb port, the ministation is glowing green. 

I also got worried when I tried to set up encryption when it asked me about erasing all my data I clicked cancel, started again and set it up to back up the first time without encryption. Will this have caused a problem? 

I cannot understand why the back up is so very big and taking so long. 

Please help an aged technical newbie! Thanks. 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

1. What unit do you have, model number?!

2. What software are you using for the backup!?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

LindaC

• Calf

I think the model number is 

Manufacturer ID: HD-PZ1.0U3S-EU

I am using the back up thing that came with it. 

LindaC

• Calf

I have been out this morning and it is still backing up, very slowly and there is only 188 GB free on the Buffalo ministation extreme now! The total hard drive on my PC is only 500 GB!!

LindaC

• Calf

Oh, and I should have said, thank you for showing an interest in my problem! I do feel a bit out of my depth here and I am desperate to back up the stuff on my PC as my last back up hard drive has failed and I have loads of precious photos and music that I don't want to lose! My PC worries me as it is so full and keeps slowing right down. I am scared I am about to lose everything! 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

how often did you set the backup to run? If you set it for every few hours then the first backup will not complete before the next backup starts, this will create an endless loop.

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

LindaC

• Calf

Ahhhh, that's what's happening I think. I did set it for whatever time was recommended. What do I do now? I don't want to break anything! 

LindaC

• Calf

Do I just hit cancel? Then can I go back and alter my preferences? Will I damage anything by cancelling the first back up? 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

no, it will be fine, i think the default is set to very 4 hours or something like that, best to cancel the backup job, format the Buffalo HDD and start again from the beginning, this time making sure you leave enough times between each backup job.

LindaC

• Calf

I have deleted all the files and reformatted. I have also run the installer again and put all of it on the computer including the turbo thing. Now I have pressed everything I can think of and can't work out how to make it do a back up!!!! I don't seem to be able to get to the original screen which gave me the options of when I wanted it to do a back up and the option to choose to do a first back up!

LindaC

• Calf
Can anyone help me at all? Where do I go to start a first time back up? I don't seem to have access to the original windows.

LindaC

• Calf
Please can anyone help me? Since I formatted the Buffalo drive I can't find anyway to do a first time backup. I really would be grateful for some help here!