Author Topic: 3TB drives in TS-HTGL/R5 Terastation Pro II  (Read 36345 times)

Timman

• Calf
Re: 3TB drives in TS-HTGL/R5 Terastation Pro II
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 01:34:14 PM »
I would love to hear how the 3TB drives work. 2 years ago I swapped out the original 500GB Samsung drives with 2TB samsung drives. I run RAID 5 and have about 5.5TB of usable space. Unfortunately I'm out of space again. I see that the TS-HTGL/R5's are going on ebay for pretty cheap and was thinking about picking another one up. This time however I think I might want 4x4TB drives. I have been leaning toward the WD Red drives.

Has anybody tested a similar setup or have any thoughts on my chances of success? Thanks!

momo03

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »
I would like to know that, too.

I know that the buffalo-systems are... well... not very good, to say the least.

I have decided for a Synology DS-413j with 2x500GB for that reason. After upgrading the Synology to 4x500GB, then to 4x1TB and then to 4x3TB, I had 2 sets of HD's uselessly sitting in the drawer. So I went for some cheap 4bay-systems to reactivate these HDs.

I startet with a VERY by intel SS4000e, which could only handle the 4x500GB with VEEEEEERY slow speed, and got my hands on a HS-DHTGL/R5, which ran happily with the 4x1TB so far.

Now I'm again running out of space and decided to upgrade the synology to 4x6TB WD RED and to move the 4x3TB Seagate NAS ST3000VM001 to the Terastation.

I tried one of the HDs for  testing and the Terastation recognizes it as 2TB only.

So, anyone got more than 2TB running?
I read some hints about non-official-firmware-builds, but could not find any information if that would allow bigger drives (e.g. if it's worth the hassle).
I am of course searching for a cheap synology or qnap as replacement, but the 6TB-HDs already cost a fortune and I really can't spend any significant amount of money on a NAS-System, so I'm willing to fiddle around with whatever can make use of the 3TB-Seagates

TheBaron

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 11:25:00 AM »
Has anyone upgraded the Bufallo Terastation II in the same way?

I've done some research and found the only resolution is people have successfully upgraded this NAS with 4x 3TB WD Red dives giving a total RAW capacity of 12TB before configuring it into a RAID 5 volume. People seem to suggest you can go above 3TB per drive, with more recent drives, but i've not really found anyone I have confidence in yet! Plus, nobody seems to have confirmed that using 4x 3TB Western Digital Red drives works?