Author Topic: Setting up RAID 1 without losing data  (Read 3177 times)

imagery

• Calf
Setting up RAID 1 without losing data
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »

Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo (1.62) LS-WVL/E running on Windows 7

Initially I installed and have been using this NAS for a few month now.  Recently, I bought a new HD and want to setup a RAID 1 with this NAS.  My question is can I setup a new RAID 1 without needing to back up my 1st HD?  I have close to 2TB of information and backing it up will take forever.

I've been researching and people are saying that only when you delete a RAID setup will it delete all your data.  BUT what about just setting up a new RAID 1?

Thank you in advance.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Setting up RAID 1 without losing data
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
You cannot create a raid 1 without erasing the data in the disk.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

usafa92

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »

I have a LS Pro DUO LS-WVL/R1 with v1.64 firmware.  Not sure if setup is the same as yours, but I was able to add a 2nd Drive and enable Raid 1 while retaining all my data on drive 1.

Like you, I initially setup my LS Pro Duo with 1 drive, then later added a 2nd drive.  To enable Raid 1 without erasing my 1st drive, I went logged into the NAS menu.  Then went to "System"===>"Storage".   Under storage there's a section that says "Disks".  It showed drive 1 and drive 2.  I needed to Format drive 2. 

After drive 2 was formatted, I then went to "System"===> "Storage"===>"Raid Array".  In the "Raid Array" section, under the "Raid Mode" column, I click the link (i don't recall what it said becuse it only showed when I didn't have Raid enabled) which brought up another menu.  This allowed me to setup RAID 1 and select which drive to preserve (Disk 1).  After saving my settings, the NAS restarted and RAID 1 was enabled with my old data retained and both drives mirrored.

Hope this helps.  Maybe someone more familiar with this NAS can better explain.

imagery

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »

Thank you for your reply.  That's what I thought.

I have alot of important information on the first drive so loosing it is not an option.

I think i'll just play it safe and back it up first.