Author Topic: BUFFALO TS-RX4.0TL drive replacement after false scare over total loss  (Read 1538 times)

yetis

• Calf

So on Sat, I came home to my NAS screaming and blinking, telling me that three of the four HD's were in degrade mode...  Well, with no options, I just shut the unit down and restarted.  It has been running for two days, no problem... Anyway, I want to start replacing the drives, just in case.  I also want to replace with larger hard drives.  (Just so you know, my warranty is already expired) My understaning is that I can just shut it down, replace one drive and let the unit rebuild the RAID 5 array?  Then I do this 3x more. However, how do I go about getting the server to recognize the larger drives, without losing all my data?   

Thank you 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: BUFFALO TS-RX4.0TL drive replacement after false scare over total loss
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:55:18 AM »

you cannot upgrade the HDDs on the unit without the data on the existing HDDs being erased.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

yetis

• Calf
Re: BUFFALO TS-RX4.0TL drive replacement after false scare over total loss
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »

I can use large hard drives, but they will only be recognized as the original size.  Once I reset the partitions, that will wipe out the data?  So if I am having  slow and painful failure of my NAS, I can replace the drives with larger one to stabilize it.  Then I can hopefully backup the portion of my data that isn't backed up.... Then once backed up, I can then reset the partition?

Thank you