Author Topic: What the hell. "Bittorrent" on the linkstation live  (Read 14638 times)

GraemeEvans1986

• Calf
What the hell. "Bittorrent" on the linkstation live
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »

I just got a linkstation live for christmas, thinking it would be the perfect product to help me automate my torrent downloading since bittorrent client has rss feed downloader function and has remote accessed built in to allow controlling all functions from any internet connection.

You can imagine how dissapointed i was to connect up my new linkstation to find what has been labled as "bittorrent" is nothing like the bittorrent client and is nothing more than transmission. It has none of the functionality i expected from the bittorrent label and quite frankly i feel screwed over. Is there any easy way for me to fix this, i'm hoping i just have an old version installed and these things have been added with an update. Or am i stuck with having to use flexget to automate rss feed downloading and have to come up with a rediculous workaround for the remote access functionality?

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: What the hell. "Bittorrent" on the linkstation live
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »

there are several LInkstation Live's. What the part number and firmware revision?

GraemeEvans1986

• Calf
the newest one, the LS-XL 1tb  with firmware version 1.56...
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 02:56:39 AM »

the newest one, the LS-XL 1tb  with firmware version 1.56.

So are those features something that should be available on some linkstations? I've looked around the forum and there was a post about two years ago asking for bittorrent to have rss functionaliity.

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: the newest one, the LS-XL 1tb with firmware version 1.56...
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »

the newest bittorrent is on the newest firmware 1.64.  Update your firmware to update your bittorrent. I don't think it has RSS.

grindMARC

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »

OP, don't get your hopes up on the 1.64 firmware. The BT client hasn't been updated for over a year if memory serves. My issue with the client is that my "torrent club" no longer allows you connect with clients that old. PLEASE UPDATE THE CLIENT, BUFFALO!

Admin - yes, the torrent client is updated on 1.64!

GraemeEvans1986

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 06:06:49 AM »

i tried updating the firmware but it says 1.56 is the most up to date version

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »

go to the local Buffalotech download page, select your product, download the firmware, and manually install it. Due to other issues, we do not always have the download through the GUI activated.

Shonk

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:30:48 PM »

The utorrent build is 2.5 years old and hasnt been updated in quite some time

version_date    2010-07-09 22:12:00 +0000 (Fri, 09 Jul 2010)
uTorrent/300B(20494)(embedded)    
device_id   UT300B  result  setting

Admin: utorrent is updated in firmware 1.64

GraemeEvans1986

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 06:59:29 AM »

updated it and there is nothing new in the bittorrent

definately not happy about this, been a buffalo custom for a long time, bought many hard drives over the years and recommended them to others.

Now i just feel like i've been cheated, if a hard drive said usb 3 and it was just a usb 2 painted blue people would be upset. It feels exactly the same with this "bittorrent" branding. Nowhere does it state the version providided is significantly different from the version of bittorrent available on windows. Now i won't even be able to return the £80 item that i have no use for and to get the functionality i wanted i've had to spend even more money on other products.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 07:15:25 AM »

Where on the website, box or here does it mention anything about compatibility with rss feeds?!

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

GraemeEvans1986

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 07:32:33 AM »

under the linkstation section of the buffalo website at the bottom where it has the big image of the bittorrent brand there.

It states "Download large files independently without having to power up your PC with the built-in BitTorrent™ Client feature found in all Buffalo's LinkStation™ and TeraStation™ NAS devices. The BitTorrent™ frees your PC or laptop for other activities. A BitTorrent™ client is a programme that uses the BitTorrent™ protocol to manage large file downloads and uploads over the Internet. 
Learn more"

the learn more links send you to http://www.bittorrent.com/get-started in order to "learn more", on this page there is a direct link to guide to using bittorent that details all fo the functionality i expected to be there. Nowhere on the buffalo site orbittorrent site can i easily find anything that tells me about this version that is running on my linkstation live

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »
So again, no where on the box, buffalo website or indeed on this forum does it mention anything about RSS feeds!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

GraemeEvans1986

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »

in putting the bittorrent brand on the website and box it's implying that it works with that software. Nowhgere does it say that what it's calling Bittorrent TM isn't actualy the version that it liks directly to the website of. there is no details about the specifications of the version provided on the buffalo site or even on the bittorrent site. In linking to the bittorrent site, and specificaly to a page containing a guide of use and fucntionality they are saying that is the version provided on the linkstation.

what i think youre trying to imply is that because the bittorrent site isn't the buffalo website then they can't be blamed for the information not being relevant. But any legal disclaimer buffalo may have to cover their backs when linking to outside website would only be to protect them from being liable for any views expressed by the website linked to. They provide no details as to the functionality of the bittorrent client and link directly to the bittorrent site and guide. I could understand if it was an old product but it seems that despite the hardware being redesigned less than a year ago and the website updated to reflect this the software hasn't been updated in several years yet still links to the most up to date information for the current bit torrent client.

smiley125

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 02:57:02 AM »

The main thing for me is does it support the remote access feature of bit torrent?

As i use this on my phone to automatically add torrents when im out of the house, i would like to know before i purchase..

GraemeEvans1986

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »

nope, it doesn't.