Author Topic: TS-H4.0TGL/R5 Newbie Question.  (Read 8038 times)

RTamer

• Calf
TS-H4.0TGL/R5 Newbie Question.
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »

Recently I aquired the above case, technically new, but without the drives.  I've installed two 500gb Western Digital drives.  My question is:  Does this unit require 4 drives to be used, or can I run it with the two that I installed.  Reason being, I can't get the software (v1.35 or v1.33) installed.  I don't want to force the installation if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help!

realborat

• Buffalo
Re: TS-H4.0TGL/R5 Newbie Question.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »

Ok, they are designed for 4 hdd`s naturally, however, first tell us why you do not want to force firmware? Also if this is a european or usa or vietnamise product? Because, the way it is good chance Force FW update may not work and you may need to use TFTP

RTamer

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »

My belief has always been that something should be forced as a last resort.  Of course, if this is the only possibility, then I'll force it through a wall if I have to.  I also have 2 Linkstations, one with 2TB and one with 1TB, and they both installed without a problem.  The entire model number on mine is TS-H4.0GL/R5-ER.  At the moment I only have the two 500GB drives, and would really like to use it until I can get more.

The TFTP boot recovery evidently found it, because I got the same two messages as with the Linkstations (xxxx blocks served).  Pinging the address (192.168.11.150) also worked fine, but the Navigator and TSUpdater are not finding anything.

Windows XP SP2 bare system, crossover network cable (CAT6), Firewall disabled.  Just like I did the Linkstations.

As always, any help is appreciated.

realborat

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »

Ok, at least it is pingable, you said firewall is turned off, what about the Anti virus software is it Disabled, if it is 

Try a normal cat 5 networking cable instead. And  when you scroll through with the function button what messages you are getting on the lcd screen?If any.

RTamer

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »

- System Rom Booting

- Checking DRAM (100%)

- System Now Booting

Keeps restarting, TFTP keeps finding it with blocks served.

realborat

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

It is stuck in boot cycle,

Power the unit down (disconnect the power). - Reboot it, if the power led is still flashing more than 100 seconds from the start, disconnect the power and retry. - Do this until the unit's power led is constant 90 seconds after the start and the unit is on EM. has to be done strict to the guide line. And may take up to 20 attempts see if you can put it in to EM mode, if you can you are laughing.

RTamer

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »

Thanks first for all of the help.

Is the firmware version 1.35 correct for this model?

I'm gonna keep putting it in EM Startup until it sticks.

RTamer

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:55:30 AM »

Update on my progress with the Terastation Pro:

- I did finally manage to get it booted in EM mode with the two WD500GB drives.

- The error lights turned off, and the "Fail" lights for the two drives also turned off.

- The display showed everything correctly, as it should.

- NasNavi found the Terastation as it should.

- TS Updater also found the Terastation, as it should.

- The update FAILED during the beginning of the format stage with the message "ACP_STATE_FAILURE".

- I tested the drives by setting up the drives with one partition formatted with exFAT.

- I tested the drives by setting up the drives with one partition unformatted or RAW.

- Noticed that the FAIL lights were staying on for drive 3 and 4.

Wondering if this unit is required to have all four drives installed to function, and if all four drives have to be the same size or not.

Terastation TS-HTGL/R5

Tried Firmware versions 1.33 and 1.35

I appreciate any help, or suggestions to my problem with this.

realborat

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:57:25 AM »

safest way for you is as far as I am concerned since I do not now the correct region, send your s/n to support and asked them for the correct link.

RTamer

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 05:00:50 AM »

@realborat - I live in Germany, so I expect that I need the European version.  I went to the EU site and downloaded these versions from there.

realborat

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:07:35 AM »

Statement "The update FAILED during the beginning of the format stage with the message "ACP_STATE_FAILURE" worries me,as It often not fixable, I will have to  put some research in to this

RTamer

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 05:14:52 AM »

I appreciate the help.  I've also been looking for the same error by others, and have found many, but most have fixed the problem with no publication to the their solution.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 05:20:38 AM »

update the firmware on a direct connection, if you are still getting the acp stat failure error message then download acp commander (google it!), make sure the batch file reads:

"Java -jar acp-commander.java -cb -reboot -t IP

pause"

replace "IP" with the actual IP address of the unit. Save and run the batch file and if you are still having issues post the output from the dos screen.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

RTamer

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 05:25:45 AM »

@davo - Ok, i'll give it a try too then.  Am I to understand that my unit does not require all four drives to be installed?  Meaning that I could use one or two drives?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:02:37 AM »

ideally it should be configured with 4 HDDs, i have not tested it with only 2 HDDs i'm afraid.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!