Author Topic: usbdisk1 is not accssible  (Read 1986 times)

kuluhe

• Calf
usbdisk1 is not accssible
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:39:35 PM »

I recently bought the following two:

BUFFALO LinkStation Pro 3 TB High Performance Network Attached Storage (NAS) - LS-V3.0TL
Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External

My intention is to back up LS-V3.0TL into Seagate monthly. However when I plug Seagate into LS-V3.0TL vis USB port, and try to access it via name \\IP-of-LS-V3.0TL\usbdisk1, I get error message that it is not accessible. I know that the LS-V3.0TL has USB 2 port, while the seagate has USB 3. However since Seagate is USB 2 compatible, it supposes to work. Am I right?

I have another usb 2 external disk. it can be accessed via the usb 2 port on LS-V3.0TL. The bundle of these two products is recommended by amazon. if there are not working with each other, what's the point to buy two?

Thanks,

realborat

• Buffalo
Re: usbdisk1 is not accssible
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:45:25 AM »

I hope this helps

Connect the drive to USB port in the back the Terastation and then power-cycle the devices in the following order:

1. Turn off LinkStation
  2. Turn off USB drive
  3. Turn on USB drive
  4. Turn on LinkStation

Navigate to the LinkStation's setup under Disk Management->Disk Format.
From there reformatting the USB
drive is possible.
Make sure any data on the drive is backed up before doing this, reformatting will delete all data on the drive.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:23:45 AM »

What format is the USB HDD?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

kuluhe

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »

Thanks for your reply, realborat.

Originally the Seagate Expansion external harddisk comes with NTFS format, so there is no problem for my PC (WinXP) to access. When I tried to format it via linkstation website into FAT32 format, it failed. Tried to restart both linkstation and seagate, then format again, no luck still failed.

With this format failure, right now I even cannot see it when plugged into my PC via USB port. 

Anyway, thanks for your input. I already decided to return the seagate disk even I really need one for backup and the seagate disk did have a very good review. 

kuluhe

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »

Thanks for your reply, davo.

Originally the seagate expansion hard disk comes with NTFS fomrat, and there is no problem for me to acess it via my PC (WinXP). The wired thing is that my other old harddisk which works with my linkstation also has NTFS format. The only difference I can see is the seagate one has 3TB while my old one only has 1TB.