Author Topic: HS-DHTGL - E06 Error - Evertime I turn the power off.  (Read 3273 times)

ArmenBodour

• Calf
HS-DHTGL - E06 Error - Evertime I turn the power off.
« on: October 12, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »

I have a HS-DHTGL That I have replaced the drives on several times during its lifetime.  I now have four 1TB Western Digital drives in after the two of my 1T Seagate drives failed at the same time..... Sucks, but I recovered the data! Anyway I have become and expert over the years of reinitializing new drives running the TFTP Program, upgrading firmware and programming the device.  My issue is that every time the box loses power it loses the Boot, and creates the E6 Error code, and I have to run the TFTP recovery program again.  Once I do this, the machine resets, and all of the programming info for the box comes back, and  drives work fine till the next either power outage, or unintentional power disconnect. 

What scares me is that I feel the system may no longer be stable, and since I just lost the two Seagate drives am I risking time vs. money that new set might get corrupted by this continual loss of the Boot System.  The way I see it is the boot info is on the some EPROM somewhere in the buffalo HS-DHTGL logic board, and that only the firmware is on the drives. Which over time I have discovered seems to only boot off of one drive, despite the creation of the system partition on all drives. (But that’s another story of trial and mishap.)   

This issue does not happen very often since I do not move the NAS, and it’s on a APC surge battery backup, but I am looking for a more permanent solution.... Is there anyone out there who has run into this weird problem? Looking for a kind of quick fix?  …  i.e. a small battery replacement inside or something......

Thanks for the help in advance.

CSS, Inc

frontdesk@cssva.com

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: HS-DHTGL - E06 Error - Evertime I turn the power off.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »

I would personally purchase a new one. It sounds like the rom chip is fried and can no longer contain the image. I am selling a TS-QVHL 4TB for $400 if you are interested.

ArmenBodour

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »

LOL   :)) I will think about it. If I go that route, I will most likely by an empty Live Shell.... and put the 4 drive I have into it....

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »

It would not work that way. Your data would not transfer over and the unit would not boot. You would need to keep at last one drive to boot the unit off of. If you purchase an empty shell from someone then you will have no way to get the unit to boot. It will set at bootfailure.

ArmenBodour

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 12:57:59 AM »
I just thought I would add to this, It has been 4 years since I posted this, and I am still running this raid box.   Every time I loose power, I just run through the steps of resetting the firmware and reprograming the settings.  The box still works, and it still retains all the data on the RAID... Crazy... But hey it works!