Author Topic: Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-V3.0TL occaisonal click noise?  (Read 1840 times)

pwjone1

• Calf
Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-V3.0TL occaisonal click noise?
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:14:25 AM »

Pretty much brand new Linkstation Pro LS-V3.0TL, installed and seems to be working fine, copied some data over, no complaints, and the unit is relatively silent once booted, but I am noticing an occaisonal clicking noise, just every so often.  Comes in a sequence of 2-3 really quickly, then no noise at all.  It can quite some time between these noises, so I was kind of guessing it might be the heads unloading or some sort of spin down to save power, but I figured I'd ask if it's normal.  Seems to happen sometimes when the unit is not in use, and just every so often, haven't had it running long enough to know much more than that.  Is this normal behavior?

pwjone1

• Calf
Re: Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-V3.0TL occaisonal click noise?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:15:27 AM »

I should have mentioned, I did reflash to the latest firmware, 1.62, seems to have not made much difference.  The unit had arrived with 1.60 level.

pwjone1

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:33:09 AM »

Still clicking every so often.  I'm going to feel silly calling Buffalo to ask about it.  Anyone know what it might be?  Sounds sound like a hard-disk reseek, kind of louder than that.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »

enable email notification and it will show if there are any bad sectors on the HDD. The noise might just be one of the HDD arms resetting.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!