Author Topic: LS-CHL 494 very slow to access  (Read 5449 times)

chelseagirl

• Calf
LS-CHL 494 very slow to access
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »

I have an LS-CHL 494 1000GB linkstation which is mainy used to store photos on. however, it is so slow to access them - when I try to get to my photos from my computer it takes ages for the thumbnails to show, and even then I ahve to scroll down the page to get the next lot to display. When it comes to actually doing anything with the photos it's almost impossible.

Is there anything I can change in settings to speed up bropwsing photos etc? As it stands I'm seriously thnking about looking for some other kind of NAS as this one is just not working how I need it to!

Bubble

• Calf
Re: LS-CHL 494 very slow to access
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »

10 days ago I bought a Buffalo Cloudstation Duo. Yestarday I was in Birmingham with my pal who asked if I had a photo of Buckingham Palace. Yes, I said on my Buffalo device at home. I spent a while trying to access it & then decided it would be quicker to catch a train and go the 120 miles to see Buckingham Palace rather than try to access the picture using my ipad. 

I think I'd have been better off buying a Gerbil, at least I could be amused whilst I watch the wheel go round and round.

On the box the device came in it says "The most user friendly and fun storage device under the sun" In my experience I'd say thay have that 100% wrong, it's nearly bought me to tears. It's unusable

Bubble

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »

Ha! I've found a quick way of using it.

I wanted to move 2 files from one folder to another. This took 55 mins to achieve using the supplied software - basically cut & paste. So for the next 2 files I wanted to move, this is what I did :-

I powered down the Buffalo and my pc.

I removed the HDD from the Buffalo.

I pulled the pc box out from under my desk.

I switched the power off at the back.

I removed the side panel.

I earthed myself.

I removed a spare HDD.

I installed the Buffalo HDD.

I powered up the pc.

I copied and pasted the 2 files in 15 secs.

I powered down the pc.

I removed the Buffalo HDD and replaced it in its caddy.

I replaced the original HDD in the pc.

Whilst the pc was pulled out from under the desk I vacuumed behind.

I pushed the pc back under the desk.

I powered up the pc and the Buffalo.

I waited 10 mins whilst it woke up and hey presto!

The 2 files had been moved.

This took 25 minutes, so I gained 25 mins of free time.

I'm so happy.

chelseagirl

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:40:50 AM »

So glad I'm not the only one with problems"! To be fair, I use it to stream music to my phone and that works really well (using a thurd party app - not the Buffalo web access app, which is pretty poor). And using another thurd party app I can stream video to my ipad and that works really well too. Which makes it all the stranger that it's soooooo sloooooooow to respond to anything to do with photos. For example, I tried to find a picture from a folder of 87 photos to add to a website yesterday - I went to the folder on my Linkstatiopn and then waited over an hour for the thumbnails to show up .... crazy.

Buffalo0, come on, you must know about this problem, is there anything we can do to tune up the drive to make it at least vaguely usable?

Bubble

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »

Like you,  today I have actually got my music streaming. I've not tried my pix as I really can't put up with another day of watching the little wheel go round and round.

I've written to Buffalo but don't expect a reply. They have my money, why should they care.

Bubble

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 04:23:36 AM »

Another day of inability to access my files.

Another day of watching the little wheel go round and round.

Another day of hoping in vain that Buffalo will reply to emails and forum posts.

Buffalo !! Are you there ?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 04:57:47 AM »

Are you soley talking about web access or samba access also?

Have you tried connecting the Linkstation / Cloudstation directly to the PC with an RJ45 cables and settings a static IP address on the NIC of the PC and see what kind of transfer / access speeds you are getting?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Bubble

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 05:39:30 AM »

Hello, thanks for your interest. Web access rarely happens, after more than 5 mins of watching the little wheel go round I give up. On the few occasions I've persevered I've found that every button I click takes 5 mins to respond. So if I wish to get to a file that's 5 folders deep I'm looking at a 25 min wait. This is both directly from the pc the Buffalo is attached to or in the next room using my iPad.

Samba ? Don't know what that is.

NIC ? What's that ?

On the box it says easy and fun to use. Fooling with rj45 cables and ip addresses are not my idea of fun and beyond me. 

The device is unusable and a return for refund is not possible, Emails to them go unanswered..

I feel as if I've been mugged by Buffalo.

--------------------------------

Are you soley talking about web access or samba access also?

Have you tried connecting the Linkstation / Cloudstation directly to the PC with an RJ45 cables and settings a static IP address on the NIC of the PC and see what kind of transfer / access speeds you are getting?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 05:47:08 AM »

"On the box it says easy and fun to use. Fooling with rj45 cables and ip addresses are not my idea of fun and beyond me."

So based on this I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that your not willing to try and investigate the issue and play around to find a solution.

OK so, i wont waste my time ;-)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Bubble

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:20:28 AM »

Yes I'd appreciate help but i would struggle to look at ip addresses and such. I wouldn't know where to start.

Bubble

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »

Thanks you for your reply. I'm unsure what to do next.

Bubble

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »

I've just spent 3 hours on the phone to Buffalo. Now I cannot access my Buffalo at all from the internet.

Before I called them at least the internet would see the device even if it took 30 mins to open a file. Now I cant access my device at all via internet.

I've literally been bought to tears by this device. I've spent the best part of 3 hours crawling about on the floor with a magnifying glass trying to access the wires etc and typing in strange numbers as required by the Helpline

I'm so upset, it was an expensive device for this pensioner. I hoped that I could be away from my home and maybe look at a photo of my grandson if I wanted to. On the box it implied that I could and before I called Help if I waited long enough it might get there. But now I can't even do that. 

I really don't know what to do next.

chelseagirl

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »

Davao, could you perhaps give a step by step guide to find transfer speeds! We're not all as technically savvy as you!

I'm not bad with computers but this link station has prove to be quite confusing and not especially us friendly. As I said. I can stream music easily to my iPhone with a third party app (plugplayer) and accede videos easily with another app (8player) but viewing photos is another matter entirely - either via my ipad or computer. Opening thumbnails is painful enough, and trying to flick through a whole folder is Impossible.

im happy live into the setting etc so long as someone can guide me!

sethz

• El Toro
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »

Bubble wrote:

I've just spent 3 hours on the phone to Buffalo. Now I cannot access my Buffalo at all from the internet.

Before I called them at least the internet would see the device even if it took 30 mins to open a file. Now I cant access my device at all via internet.

I've literally been bought to tears by this device. I've spent the best part of 3 hours crawling about on the floor with a magnifying glass trying to access the wires etc and typing in strange numbers as required by the Helpline

I'm so upset, it was an expensive device for this pensioner. I hoped that I could be away from my home and maybe look at a photo of my grandson if I wanted to. On the box it implied that I could and before I called Help if I waited long enough it might get there. But now I can't even do that. 

I really don't know what to do next.

Are you getting any particular error when trying to access? Are you able to access locally (within your network)?

Sometimes the issue can be that the router or modem is not allowing the device access to the outside world, likely for security because it doesn't recognize what it is.

Bubble

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 04:30:10 AM »

Hello Seth,

thanks for your message.

the helpline man has set the Buffalo as part of my network and I can access it OK. Before I spoke to him it was a "P" drive. Now it comes under "network" 

When I first got it, i was able to see it from my iPad, now I can't see it at all. He had me play with the router settings. He then told me to call Netgear but they refuse to help. I'd have thought that Mr Buffalo would have known that Netgear only give Help when the router is in warranty. 

Words cannot explain how depressed this device has made me. I treated myself to a VERY expensive pc and back up system that just doesn't work. I've been made to crawl about on the floor, enter strange areas of my pc. These are not things this 70 year old expected to do when spending so much. I'm unable to return the device for refund and am left not trusting my pc with all the DOS changes I was made to do.

Is there a way I can return all my pc settings to original? 

At the moment I've removed the Buffalo and have lost faith in it.

i appreciate your concern.