Author Topic: Active Directory and Shares  (Read 1558 times)

sLIVER

• Calf
Active Directory and Shares
« on: September 24, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »

Hi There,

Just setup a new Terastation on a Win2003 AD network.  Device added fine, and users and groups populated fine.  We can create shares and select AD groups for R / W fine on the unit, but users can't access the SMB shares properly.

I guess my question is this - Is there a precidence when assigning users and groups permissions to the NAS?  I see that when the domain user list is up, they are all given no access - does this override the Domain Groups that they are members of?

I've looked a bit on the forums about this issue, but everyone seems to have different AD issues.

Thanks!

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Active Directory and Shares
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »

You have to apply the permissions to the top level share within the interface of the TeraStation, not through AD.

sLIVER

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »

Pretty sure I did that when the share was setup and edited.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »

Ah I appologize. But yet, user lists do take rights over groups. If you have conflics between the way you set up the groups and the users on the share then it may result that they cannot access at all.

sLIVER

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:59:22 AM »

Still seems to be not working.  I've given all domain users (individually - as well as the administrator account) full access, and I still can't erase / write, but can read (as administrator).

Is there a quick 'how to' for applying Domain Shares to this unit?  Again, it added fine to the Domain, just permissions aren't behaving....

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »

I think the manual is the only instructions that you're going to get. It may be quicker to just call support and have them use Join.me to take control of your screen and set it up for you.

If you don't want to do that then the only thing that I can suggest is to restore the web interface by going to system, restore/erase and choosing restore. For the older interface its maintenance, initilization and then you choose restore. Doesn't delete data, just configuration.