Author Topic: HDHSQ(V2) Super Flakey on OSX  (Read 1367 times)

gooberholtzer

• Calf
HDHSQ(V2) Super Flakey on OSX
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »

All,

Any help here would be greatly appreciated as my frusturation is running high at this point.  I've worked with tech support at Buffalo and had my drive replaced once by them but am having the same issue with the replacement drive.  Now, I'll explain...

I use this external hard drive for a photo archive for working in Adobe LightRoom 3.  I am not sure if the problem is related to Lightroom but I though I would mention it as that is the workflow that I do.  When I'm using Lightroom which needs to go out periodically to the drive It can pretty quickly get into a mode where it says "loading..." and hangs there.  At this point, the drive is really lost to my Mac Mini.  There is still an icon on the desktop but the drive is gone.  If I try to recycle the power on the drive and reinsert the USB OR Firewire 800 cable, the drive is not detected.  At this point, it usually takes me powering everything down and maybe unplugging my Mac Mini and waiting minutes and then firing it all back up and inserting the cable.  In many cases even this is not enough to have the drive discovered.  I've removed all the USB devices that I can for these experiments.

It's my inclination that this is not related to Lightroom but I thought I would mention it for completeness.  I've spent a bunch of time looking at the Sytem Information under Firewire (when plugging in with that cable) and have found little correlation between what I was seeing the behavior of the device being and what the Firewire devices are showing.  In many cases the firewire information just shows a generic device and the drive is not connected but I have also seen the Buffalo drive show up there and it still does not work.  With enough fiddling I can get the drive to reconnect and it works for a few minutes to maybe a 1/2 hour before the drive is lost.

Sorry for being longwinded.  Any ideas?  I'm running OSX 10.8.2 now but had the same problem on 10.7.x

Thanks,

Brian

gooberholtzer

• Calf
Re: HDHSQ(V2) Super Flakey on OSX
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »

Doing more experiments... It's more accurate to say that the System Information / FireWire results show the following when I plug in the drive and it does not mount...

Unknown Device

Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

Connection Speed: Unknown

I can remove the drive and execute command-R and refresh and the drive is entirely not found.  Then plug it in and refresh and I get the above again.   Long periods of being disconnected and powered off increase the chances that the drive will mount.