Author Topic: Computer no longer reads external hard drive  (Read 1652 times)

Anonuser123

• Calf
Computer no longer reads external hard drive
« on: September 27, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »

Specifications

I have a Buffalo 1TB external hard drive. Model number HD-LB1.0TU2-UK

Driver 6.2.8250.0

Operating system Windows 8 (I've also tested the product on a windows 7 64bit operating system on my desktop with the exact same results)

Laptop Model: Toshiba Satellite L500D-11R

I purchased my external hard drive less then 6 months ago. 

The Problem

The external hard drive use to work perfectly fine when my laptop had windows 7, and then after when I upgraded to windows 8 it still worked perfectly fine.

The other week I tried to copy some files to my external hard drive and so I plugged it in and inserted the USB. (I have the product on my desk stationary when not in use and just plug it in (both USB and Power socket) when I need to use it.) Unfortunately the hard drive will not show up on my computer no matter how long I wait. 

Going to Device Manager I can actually see the external hard drive.

I've tried to use your Drive Navigator product (on my PC and Laptop) to format the external hard drive but it says no hard disk is available for formatting.

I've attached a screen shot below showing the situation I've just described.

Any help would be appreciated.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Computer no longer reads external hard drive
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 06:02:45 AM »

Does it appear in disk management?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Anonuser123

• Calf
Re: Computer no longer reads external hard drive
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »

Yes it does appear in disk management. It says all the data is unallocated when I had about 150gb on it before, lucky that I have a back up. I formatted the device through disk management (why it wouldn't let me format it through other means I have no idea) and I assigned it a drive lettter/key and it works again (how it spontaneously unassigned itself a letter key I have no idea)

Problem resolved it seems even though I have no idea how the problem occured. 

Thanks for the help.