Author Topic: Can't access LinkStation  (Read 5817 times)

gpaulin

• Calf
Can't access LinkStation
« on: January 30, 2009, 10:33:41 AM »

I have a HS-DH500GL.  I've reset it several times and while Buffalo Navigator seems to find it I can't access it via a browser.  I've tried PINGing the IP address turned up by NAS Navigater (192.168.11.150) unsuccessfully too, the ping times out.  My PC is running Vista Home Premium (I've applied the Vista Patch from Buffalo).

Any ideas on how to proceed in testing and diagnosis? 

Also, after resetting the password should be password, right?  Documentation says it's reset to default but isn't explicitly clear.

I spent 24 minutes on hold with Buffalo Tech Support and since I'm on cell service that doesn't seem to be a viable option.

GP

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Can't access LinkStation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:14:06 PM »

The ip address of the Linkstation is probably incompatible with your computer's ip address.

Explain the layout of your network for me, that should shed some light on the issue.

gpaulin

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:30:48 PM »

It's a very simple network. One PC (Dell XPS portable running Vista SP1 Home Premium) one D-Link Gigabit switch (model DGS-2205) and the Linkstation HS-DH500DL.  When connected the Buffalo NAS Navigator finds the Linkstation but any further interaction results in an error message or time out.

I've swapped the switch but get the same results.  I've turned off the Windows and McAfee firewalls without success.  Connectivity seems to be intact as I get both Link and ACK lights on the switch.

GP

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
Is the switch attached to a router? What are the IP addresses of your computer and the NAS?

gpaulin

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:09:07 AM »
   Now router in network, just two PCs and the switch.  I've tried both DHCP and static IPs (defaults on LinkStation and the default plus one on the PC.  No joy.  The puzzling thing is that the NAS Navigator finds the Linkstation at power up and returns the proper IP but the PC won't link or even return a ping.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »
Mcaffe's firewall can be a real pain like that... you disable it, but it's still on somewhat. Try another computer, try uninstalling mcaffe.

gpaulin

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:50:51 PM »
   Made some progress.  I can connect, sort of, using a null ethernet cable.  I got the files off but can't get to the system via a browser or the "I'm here" button.  I flashed the firmware.  Despite getting an incomplete installation error NASNav shows the updated firmware version. 

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »

Try the force firmware procedure here: http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=4091#M277

When you get to the Debug menu, select all Config options EXCEPT "Rebuild partition table", and run the firmware update. Make SURE "Rebuild partition table" is NOT checked, unless you're ok with the drive getting wiped completely.